Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eating only one breast per meal

Default eating only one breast per meal

Since my baby was born she has only eaten from one breast per meal. I would give her the other breast and she would suckle for a long time but the milk would not come out anytime after the other let down. So, eventually she stopped trying to suckle the other one and for 10 months eats only one boob at a time. I want for her to eat both sides so I don't have to feed her so frequently but now she won't try and the times we have tried the milk still won't let down. Is there anything I can do to get my other breast to let down after she's fed on one side? I can let her suckle for a good 30 minutes and nothing will come out. I also think I have overactive letdown so add that to the equation.Is there something wrong with my breasts and is there anything I can do? Also, how often should I be feeding her each breast?
    In all honesty, the breastmilk from one breast takes a while to let down but it all comes out within a matter of minutes and is painful. Overactive letdown seems to describe it accurately. Perhaps the other breast doesn't have time to produce milk after the other one since it comes out so fast. Still, what do you think and what should I do?
    Last edited by mommapoo83; March 31st, 2006 at 12:06 PM.

Default Re: eating only one breast per meal

I have only fed one breast at a time and I've found more and more BF experts are recommending only one breast at a time. I'm on my third baby and that's the only way I've fed. The hind milk is what is fatty and generally what helps fill the tummy and helps them go longer periods of time.

At 10 months, your daughter is used to nursing and drinking her fill on one side.

I was under the impression that let down happened for both breasts at the same time, maybe I'm wrong. After the first month, I don't feel let downs anymore.

I can't answer your other questions, sorry.

Is really the point of your question nighttime feedings? If so, you may want to look into night weaning.

Hojobj,
    Thanks for sharing your opinions and experience about feeding yours 1 breast at a time. This is the first that I've heard it be recommended it makes sense because the baby is getting the best milk. Although at 10 months I wondered whether I should view one breast as just feeding her one breast or as a complete meal. I was confused about how often to feed her because everything I've heard is advice given assuming that you're feeding the baby with both breasts. It does feel like both breasts are letting down at the same time when I feed her on one side but I was under the immpression that your breasts should let down each time you feed her. They should let down every time that you feed her a side. I just assumed that that's what was supposed to happen but I wouldn't know since I only feed her one at a time! Because when I try to feed her the other side, it's just painful and feels like she's sucking but nothing is coming out at all. So, I thought there was supposed to be another let down.
    However, I do still have intense and painful letdowns and the milk comes out very quickly where she's gulping and even pulling away from my breast. I think that's called an overactive letdown.
    Oh, and the point of my post was that I wanted to ask the experts here if they thought there was something wrong with how I can't feed her with the second breast as nothing will come out. Is there something wrong with me or my breasts? I thought most women breastfed their baby with both breasts for a meal. And is there any way that I could feed her with both sides so she won't eat as often.
    Last edited by mommapoo83; March 31st, 2006 at 02:47 PM.

Hi, there,

My son is almost 10 months old. He takes one side only. At first, he took from both sides, but one side had much much less milk than the other. After a while, he didn't bother taking it from the side with less milk. I felt letdowns on both sides initially, but now the side with less milk does not let down. When I have letdowns, it hurts a little, very little and milk comes out very fast. If he is awake, he pulls away. I feed my son when he's asleep most of the time.

Sorry I don't know what an overactive letdown is.

Mommapoo83,
    I'm a new mom...dd is 8 weeks tomorrow. She usually only eats from one breast per meal. I'm sure to always alternate. Every once in a while she'll take from both sides, but the second side not for long. She'll eat for a good 30 minutes from one side only. During my letdown, the milk just gushes out...so I know she's getting a good amount. Long story short...she's gaining weight just fine, she's in the 91 percentile for her age/weight, and the doctor said that's just where she should be.

I don't know if this helps...it's just my story!
    Last edited by mairebaire; April 7th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.

My 4 yo only ever nursed one breast per session. It started out b/c he was such a sleepy newborn if I took him off to switch sides I couldn't get him to wake/nurse enough. Then the LC told me that it was good anyway b/c he would likely get more of the rich hindmilk.