Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 mo old started pulling off, crying ,spitting up

Default 3 mo old started pulling off, crying ,spitting up

Hi Moms,

My 3 mo. old (Piper) has been doing great with nursing and sleeping through the night--finally. I was just thinking how well things were going last week when this new behavior started. Since Saturday she's been fussing and pulling off a lot and spitting up once or twice a day (she never used to). The only time she nurses peacefully is when she's very tired/asleep. Also, she's not napping well anymore.

Any ideas as to what's happening? The spitting up makes me wonder if it's reflux?

Thanks,
    JewelsC2

Default Re: 3 mo old started pulling off, crying ,spitting up

Also,

When she pulls off she arches her back but tries again for a second or two before pushing off and crying. It's very frustrating for both of us.

I just started jogging recently when all this began, not a lot, just easing back into an exercise regiment. Any idea how much exercise is too much???

DS was around 3 mos when he did this for a few days or so. Like your LO, he would arch his back after taking a few sucks and sometimes even before he really establish a latch, he would scream. I'm not sure I know exactly what caused this behavior, but I have a theory...This screaming at the start of nursing started around the time when he got really good at putting both hands into his mouth and really like chewing it. One day he was happily chewing his hand and a few seconds later let out a scream. When I went to pick him up, I noticed a tiny bit of blood in his mouth. I put it all together. Looks like he scraped his mouth with his nails and may have caused his mouth to be sore. Thus, when he tried to nurse it would hurt and he would scream. Well, I decided to be much more aggressive about clipping his nails now that he loves chewing on his hands to prevent injury to his mouth. Used to clip nails once a week, but now I have to inspect it every few days. So far, he hasn't done the screaming thing anymore. May have been a coincidence but that my theory for why DS did this screaming thing. Good luck!

Oh, as far as spitting up, from what I have heard, it normally increases and peaks around 4-6 mos and then declines after that. DS is 3 1/2 mos and in the last few weeks has spit up more than in the past. There is not one day I leave the house without changing shirt for both him and me. Also our nanny has to change her shirt and his shirt a couple of times during the day. As long as he is not unhappy spitting up at other times, it might not be reflux. My pediatrician usually asks, is he a happy or unhappy spitter.