Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does anyone else do this?

Default Does anyone else do this?

My mom tells me that wiping baby's mouth out with a wet washcloth after feeding him is something I should do every time he's done breastfeeding to make sure he doesn't have milk left in his mouth. Her reasoning is that it's bad for teeth (even though he doesn't have any teeth yet...) and can make thrush worse (we currently have thrush). Anyone do this?
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

Default Re: Does anyone else do this?

Well, I've been told by a dentist and I read it somewhere that you can start doing the wiping once a day or you can buy those fingerbrushes, which can help with teething, as well, and use that once a day. I don't think it is necessary to wipe after every feeding.
    Did you get medicine for your lo's thrush? If not yet, you should, because it can be transferred back and forth to your nipples.

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Did you get medicine for your lo's thrush? If not yet, you should, because it can be transferred back and forth to your nipples.
    Yep...we have Nystatin, but it's being stubborn
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

I have had recurring bouts of Thrush with my DD due to antibiotic use. I have found Nystatin to be pretty much useless on its own. My Pediatrician has prescribed Diflucan and I use that, plus Nystatin on my nipples after each feed. The thrush usually clears up within a day or two.

I have not heard of that nor do I do it.

Have you seen the many links out there on thrush and thrush prevention?

Here's just a few...

LLL:
    Thrush/Sore
    Thrush/Infant Meds

Kellymom:
    Thrush resources

Dr Sears:
    Thrush

Good luck!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.