Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF immediately after c-section

Default BF immediately after c-section

I am scheduled to have a ceaserean with my 3rd child in a few weeks. I know with my first, it was an emergency and I had a spinal block which made me numb from the neck down and, after laboring for hours and hours and then being pumped with meds for the surgery, I was exhausted. My baby went to the nursery with my husband in tow and I went to recovery for an hour. I slept it off and was fine and nursed him as soon as we were reunited. My second son was a scheduled delivery to avoid the first scenario, and I only had to stay in recovery for 30 minutes and they let me go to my baby. While I am in recovery, they take the baby and bathe and give vaccines, etc. Kinda harsh, I know. Anyhow, this is my last pregnancy and I want the opportunity to breast feed immediately after birth - almost immediately, as soon as I am closed up and can give it a try. I asked my OB about the baby going with me to recovery and he said, unfortunately, that the hospital is such a "baby delivery place" that they don't have the staff to see to mom and baby in recovery. He agreed with me and said that plans are in the works to make delivery more mommy friendly for those who must have ceasereans. Anyhow, what do I do? I know that the surgery "suite" is booked up and they usually get you in and out of there and then I go to recovery from there. I want to atleast have a few minutes for my baby to latch on and be comforted after the delivery. Any suggestions?

Default Re: BF immediately after c-section

Unfortunatly, it seems like you may need to find a different hospital. But the down fall is you'd have to be reschedualed for your C-section and you may not be able to have your Dr., depending on how far away the next nearist hospital is.

Spinal block-With my first C-section, they brought her in to breastfeed in the recovery room. It was just me and her.

Reg. Epidural-With my second (at the same hospital), I had complications with pain after delivery and they didn't even bring her to me for a few hours. I kept asking for her and they said they were still cleaning her up. I finally threw enough of a fit and they brought her to me. I didn't get a chance to breastfeed her though (long story).

I am also haveing another C-section April 23rd. In about 4 weeks now. This is a different hospital this time. I hope this one goes well.

I was reading in my BF book that some hospitals will let you breastfeed on the table while they sew you up. I bet that's a rarity!

This is the unfortunate truth ........ The hospital I am scheduled at is THE BEST in the state, and it is a woman's hospital specializing in only female surgeries and deliveries - pretty odd that they can't accomodate my request, huh? Anyhow, the other hospital is not as equipped for complications and has a very small NICU - just in case. I love my doc and this hospital, just disappointed in the recovery aspect of it. Can I demand that my baby stay with me? Can they deny me that right? I don't want to be the difficult patient, but I also want my baby with me. By the way, I'm scheduled April 26 - good luck to you!

I'm not sure if you can demand it. When you register and sign all the papers, I am sure you are agreeing to their terms and conditions. Have you tried calling the hospital and asking them if you could breastfeed immediatly? See what they say, because, really, your Dr. doesn't have much say in the matter, it's the hospital. Maybe you could form a group of BF woman and see if you can get their rules changed on that?

My hospital won't let you record your ultrasounds. Which is just obserd! It's some sort of liability issue. My Dr. suggested I complain and hopefully they will change that pollicy.

Congratulations on your new arrival soon! I will be checking out of the hospital hopefully on the 26th.