Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeast & Water

Default Yeast & Water

Has anyone tried this? My sister said that she tried this and it worked for her when she was nursing to quickly up her supply. I guess you are suposed to take a spoonfull of yeast (the kind in the packets) and down it with a glass of water. She said it tastes 100% terrible.

Should I try this or continue to pump after he feeds to attempt to up my supply??

Default Re: Yeast & Water

Can you tell us why you feel you need to boost your supply?

The best and easiest way to increase your supply is to simply place more of a demand on it since that is what supply is dependent on anyhow. Tastes 100% like nothing

One would think after two babies I would know the ins and outs of nursing, but that just ISN'T the case! It's not as natural as one would think!

Before I dried up with Jackson, I stopped leaking. I never had to buy nursing pads because I never leaked, even with let-down and I am beginning to experience the same thing now.

It may seem silly but I am so scared to loose my milk prematurely this time. Especially because I am able to stay at home this time.

Thanks for your suggestion.

If I recall correctly, you went back to work after baby #1, right? I think I remember you saying that somewhere around the 5 month mark is when your supply went down. Keep in mind that a pump, no matter how great it is, is always going to stimulate the breast less than a baby. A baby is much more effective. Less breast stimulation = less milk. I think what you are more concerned about isn't necessarily milk supply increase but just maintaining your milk supply over the course of your breastfeeding relationship, right?

Milk supplies don't just disappear for no reason. There is almost always an underlying issue, such as decreased breast stimulation/milk removal or medication. If you notice a dip in your supply, there are measures you can take (that include more breast stimulation/milk removal) that will help it recover.

As long as you are nursing your baby on demand then you really have nothing to worry about Try to trust in your body and your baby to work in perfect harmony together.

well you are correct it is more maintaining now that you said that.

The demand feeding is another thing. See...if I let him sleep until he is ready to eat, he will sleep literally for 5+ hours. Then what? he is almost 4 months old and that is too long for a baby to go, is it not? What do I do in that situation? I wake him every 3 - 3.5 hours because I don't think it's safe to let him go that long.

Thanks for any advice on this issue as well.

Can you tell me more about his schedule? And by that I mean his natural schedule. He'll take a 5 hour nap during the day?

his NATURAL schedule? I guess I havent let him have a NATURAL schedule because he sleeps so much.

This is what we have been doing.

He wakes at 8AM.

8am: nurse for 5-20 minutes (yes that's five)
    9:30: Nap
    11:30 (usually 11:30): I wake him for nursing Nap
    1: Nap
    3pm: nursing
    4:30: nap
    6:30:Nursing
    8pm: nap
    10: Last nurse of the day
    Directly after the nursing he goes down and gets back up at 8AM (I have to wake him at that time. He would to until 9 or later).

Now these times are flexible within a half hour of each other usually. If he totally wakes (not just stiring) before, I feed him and then I put him down when he starts to get fussy (usually between an hour and fifteen minutes to and hour and a half after the feeding starts).

When he was about 4 weeks old, he was SUPER cranky...looking back I am sure it was a gas/my diet issue. It started to get better when the doc. recomended mylocon drops and when I took chocolate out of my diet. He was having a hard time sleeping so when he would sleep, I would let him and he would go six hours before I would wake him (pumping in between when I felt too full). I needed the rest too after spending all day/night with a screaming baby. As a result i have the whole bottom and then some of my deep freezer FULL of EBM.

Since he still isnt awake after three to three and a half hours of sleeping I havent let him go any longer as, if I remember correctly, he shouldnt be going that long at 3 months.
    Last edited by GagesMom; February 28th, 2006 at 12:42 PM.

Wow, he's a sleepy guy! I'm wondering what he'd do if you didn't wake him so much? Perhaps he'd take 1 or 2 longer naps instead of the 4 he's taking now? Does he do anything other than nap and sleep? Is he ever awake to just play (as much as 3 months old play)? I think you hinted that after a feeding, he's usually awake for about an hour, is this the case?

We know that a newborn should be nursing 8-12 times per day but your baby is 3 months old and there really isn't a set minimum on how many times per day he should be nursing. The important thing is that he continues to grow and if he's getting enough to eat, then that's exactly what he'll do. Many babies are extremely efficient nursers and get everything they need in just a few minutes at the breast. It's okay to allow a baby who is gaining weight well and thriving to go several hours between nursing sessions, especially through the night. It's when baby isn't gaining well then it's suggested to wake baby to nurse. Your baby may very well be getting in one nursing session what another baby gets in 2 or 3, kwim?

Does your baby have any underlying medical issues that we should know about?

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol

Does your baby have any underlying medical issues that we should know about?
    The only thing he has is a condition called Benign Myoclonus of Early Infancy. However this condition doesn't affect his eating. HOWEVER, he was in the hospital for the first week of his life. While there, he wouldn't nurse. We were having issues after we got home from delivery and were scheduled to go into lactation the next day but then ended up back in the hospital. While we were there they suggested bottle feeding since he wouldn't nurse but still needed the nurtrition. I pumped and fed him and was able to keep my milk that way. After we got home, he seemed to nurse ok (as we had started nursing again in the hospital and were able to get SOME help) though he would only nurse for a few minutes at a time so I had to constantly pump after feedings so I could keep my milk supply (I have a fear of losing it early like I did with Jackson). Anyway, a week and a half ago, Gage got his first two teeth. During his teething he slowed his eating (I guess because he was in pain) and now that he has his teeth, he is chewing on me. Seems like the problems never end sometimes. Other that that, no he doesn't have anything to speak of.

During his wake times, we play with rattles, he goes on his tummy, he swings, we go for walks, etc. Since I have a 2.5 yo also, we stay pretty busy. So yes you were correct that he does stay awake and have waketime.

Another thing I might add...with ds1 and Gage, we used "On becoming Babywise" (puts her shield up to prevent being hit by whatever you were holding in your hand at the time of reading that ). We stopped using it over a month ago because of information I found out about the book. I don't mind on having him on a schedule, but I definately don't use it as ridgid as I used to. And honestly, we were unable to use the book much with Gage since he was in the hospital and having other issues along the way.

Thanks for the response. I understand that you are very paranoid about losing your milk supply but as I mentioned earlier, a woman's milk supply doesn't just disappear for no reason. It's all about supply and demand and as long as baby is putting a demand on it, your body will produce the exact supply baby needs. If baby demands less, your body produces less. But if baby suddenly starts to demand more, your body will respond by producing more too. Making milk is a pretty spectacular process

I don't know to what extent you used Babywise and I think you did good to toss it. As I'm sure you are well aware of, many parents who follow Ezzo's methods end up with babies who have failure to thrive.

You may just want to try letting baby set his own schedule just to see how he does. He may surprise you You can take all the supplements you want but none of them will really do you one bit of good unless there's added breast stimulation. And even after you decrease the breast stimulation, the milk will decrease as well -- good old supply & demand again Baby's are amazing little creatures!

I hope this helps!