Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Over?

Default Is it Over?

Long story short . . . . . .

Babe is now almost 12 weeks . . . . . breastfed, almost exclusively except for about 2 bottles of formula/week, since day 1.

Babe started getting fussy at breast around 7 weeks . . . . I made sure she didn't get bottles for two weeks and the situation got slightly better, but never really resovled itself.

At week 11 she started refusing breast and I realized I was in very low supply . . . . . I saw a Lactation consultant who suggested Fenugreek which I started yesterday. I am now almost exclusively pumping (5x day) because babe is now taking bottles cause barely anything is coming out of me. She seems to nurse through the night, but it's hard to say how effectively because we co-sleep and I don't really observe how much she is getting at a session in the night. (about 2-3 nursing sessions between 11pm-6am).

I guess my question is, at 12 weeks post-partum, and having a low supply that apprently has been dwindling for weeks, is it too late to get back on track?

Any advice is appreciated.

Heartbroken,
    lisa
    Last edited by leecee; March 30th, 2006 at 10:46 PM.

Default Re: Is it Over?

No, it's not too late.

Could you consider putting your baby to the breast more often? Even skin to skin contact is helpful with increasing production.

I'm moving this thread to increasing milk for more replies.

I am at home with her all day and try putting her to the breast nearly every 1/2 hour or so . . . . . she is literally at the point where the second my nipple enters her mouth she is already crying about it.

I have tried, tried, tried, and tried again to be patient and see if the crying subsides, I give her a minute, try again, and nothing. It's like the more I try, the worse this is getting . . . . .

Skin to skin has been hard for us, especially since we are in alaska and it's usually pretty chilly in here . . . . . . . She does sleep with us at night (has been since day 1) but we usually all have lots of layers on us (don't want blankets up too high in the bed cause of suffocation).

She is getting more and more used to the bottle. I have to use formula and what little milk I can pump out. Right now, I have to pump 6-7 times a day (1/2 hour or more) just to get about 4 oz out of me. It's ridiculous.

I just don't understand if this is a supply/demand thing, and she was predominately nursing this whole time, how did my supply go down in the first place? I saw a lactation consultant the other day and she observed baby's suck/mouth, etc. and everything looked good. That was the last time baby actually nursed thoroughly (this past Tuesday). And that's only because she hadn't had anything to eat ALL day and so by the time I got to the appointment at 2pm of course there was 2oz. in my breast (that is what the scale showed that she had consumed during the nursing session). I hadn't pumped that day either.

It's hard to "put baby to breast as much as possible, even for comfort," when baby is NOT comforted by the breast! When she is fussy or crying, even about other things, I put her there and she is not interested. Even the lactation consultant had said, "she looks rather standofish with you." As if to say she was observing that we weren't as closey close as most folks. I don't know how that happened . . . . . . .

I want to keep trying but at this point, I am spending more time writing on these boards, calling/seeing consultants, pumping and crying than I am actually spending time with my baby! It's getting to the point where I am not even enjoying her because I am so preoccupied with the level of milk production.

THanks for listening..
    Lisa

((((hugs))))

This webpage might help with some of your feelings (it's geared towards mothers who are breastfeeding after reduction surgery, but it might help you, as well):
    http://www.bfar.org/love.shtml

This info might help, too:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov99p99.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Thanks so much for that info . . . . one of those articles at Kellymom led me to the LacTaid supplementer . . . . do you know anything about it?

After seeing that, I feel like there still might be hope ! Even if I could just have her at the breast, using that, I would be 100times happier than now! Thanks for leading me down that path! and thanks for the hugs!

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by leecee
    Thanks so much for that info . . . . one of those articles at Kellymom led me to the LacTaid supplementer . . . . do you know anything about it?

After seeing that, I feel like there still might be hope ! Even if I could just have her at the breast, using that, I would be 100times happier than now! Thanks for leading me down that path! and thanks for the hugs!

Lisa
    Yes, this is just what I was going to suggest!
    Please call your Lactation Consultant right away and ask her to set you up with a supplementer and show you how it works. Make sure that you actually use it while you are in her office, so that you have a chance to ask questions afterwards.
    Your LC should also let you know how many ounces of formula to use at each feeding - this will depend on your baby's weight.
    (As a matter of interest, please share with us your baby's weight at birth, the LOWEST weight, and the present weight.)
    The usual proceedure is for the mother to pump and use that milk FIRST in the supplementer, before using any formula.

This is how it goes:
    You nurse the baby, use the supplementer with your milk, then add the formula. Then you pump your breasts for the next feeding.

If you do not already have one. ask your LC to set you up with a hospital grade rental pump. This is the only kind of pump that is designed for women who are trying to bring in a milk suppply. Make sure that she shows you how to use it and watches you pump in her office, so that you can ask questions.

While all this is going on, your LC can help you with the latch, etc. If all goes well, over the next few weeks your milk should increase, and you will be using less and less formula. Your LC will help you to monitor your progress.

BTW, please make sure that your LC is Board Certified. Anybody can call themselves a Lactation Consultant, but only those who have a lot of experience and training and have passed an exam can use the letters IBCLC after their name.

Lisa, please let us know how you get on!

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

an idea to help baby give the breast s chance would be use a nipple gaurd. After 5 weeks NICU stay ds was stand-offish about going to breast. I tried a nipple shield because it was made of silicon like the hospital nipples, once he got the idea milk came from my breast we were able to remove the shield and finally got him to latch without using it first. Keep trying, you are doing a wonderful job!
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Thanks for all the positive ideas and advice.

I am meeting with a certified LC again, today (a different one cause the first one I saw is not available again until mid-week next week). She is going to set me up with a hospital grade pump, but we have not discussed the Lact Aid yet. I am going to bring that up while I'm there.

My baby was born 6 14 (19 inches) on January 10 . . . when she left the hospital on the 12th she was 6 9 . . . a week later, she was 7 1 . . . . . . . a month after being born she was 8 14 and three months old she is 10 2

She is not losing, but not gaining in leaps and bounds either. The LC said she may not be gaining as much as possible for her . . . . that she should be about 11 something by now . . . .

My Dr. didn't seem too concerned . . .

She nursed through the night last night, but I know she wasn't satisfied because she was getting really anxious by 5am and wanted to get up and "really" eat. At that point I had to give her a bottle and then I pumped a mere ounce, total, from BOTH breasts.

I think there is still hope because she will nurse when sleepy, but the fact that she is not getting satisfied from it is causing her frustration to the point where when she is REALLY hungry, she won't even attempt to nurse.

Wish me luck with the LC today! Meeting in one hour . . . . Yes, she is board certified.

Thanks for all your help. Really.

Lisa

Lactation consultant said it looks more like a nursing strike, than a supply issue. . . . She said she doesn't think I'm at the supplementer stage just yet

She observed DD trying to nurse and saw her pull away, fussing, but with milk dribbling down her cheeks. . . she was obviously getting milk out but was having trouble nursing.

She suggested getting her ears checked for congestion. Anybody ever heard of congested ears causing nursing strikes?

Just curious.

Thanks again.

Lisa

Lisa,
    From what I've read, I'm not convinced yet that you have a supply issue either. Well, maybe you do now that you've been supplementing so much but you probably didn't have a supply issue in the beginning.

Have you seen this? Is your milk supply really low? (not a LLL source)

The equation is quite simple: Milk supply depends almost entirely upon breast milk removal, or breast stimulation. The less milk that is being removed (and the less your breasts are being stimulated), the less milk you'll make. The more milk that is being removed (and the more your breasts are being stimulated), the more milk you'll make. It is very, very rare for a woman to not be able to produce enough milk for her baby. And the only way we know if mom isn't making enough milk is if she's nursing baby frequently (8-12 times per day) and baby fails to gain weight (or begins to lose weight). A fussy baby, a baby who pulls on/off the breast or a baby who guzzles down a bottle right after spending an hour at the breast are NOT good indicators of low milk supply in mom. Babies typically gain between 5-7 ounces per week during the first 4 months of life. But, just as some babies gain more than that some babies simply gain less too.

It's possible that your baby has developed a preference for the bottle since it provides instant gratification. When she's at the breast, she has to work for it.

A baby's who's ears are full of fluid can find it painful to nurse. So, it would be a good idea to get baby's ears checked, just to be sure. Have you also ruled out thrush?

Would you mind giving us the dates of her weight checks and how much she weighed? Also, when those weight checks were done was baby weighed on the exact same scale at the exact same time of day? If not then the weight checks cannot be considered accurate.

I have to get to work right now but I'll be back later to check for your response

You're doing a great job in sticking with this. I know you are feeling frustrated but you'll get through it!