Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth Spurt?

Default Growth Spurt?

My Son is now 2 weeks old today!! It seems like we've been going thru a growth spurt since day 8 on and off thru out the week. He eats well and has plenty of wet diapers. He poops about every 3rd and 4th day. He has LOTS of gas. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat we have gas. He's happy and playful (currently in his bouncer )

He goes thru these phases where all he wants to do is nurse then he'll take about an hr nap and wants mommy again (which I love! really I do) This was happing during the day and then he was sleeping GOOD 3 hrs at night, Last night we had just the opposite. He naped every hr and ate.

Is this a growth spurt? We see our doc tomorrow. I don't want to give him formula if I don't have too. I think he's getting enought lots of time when he gets to the second breast and falls asleep or off, I'll see milk driping down his chin.

TIA

Default Re: Growth Spurt?

Those nursing patterns sound pretty normal for a two week old. Sometimes babies don't really settle into a pattern that early, and may nurse A LOT. Gas is also completely normal. I might be a little concerned about the poops, though. It is normal for older BF babies to go several days without pooping, but at two weeks you generally see several poops per day. That is one of the ways to tell if baby is getting enough. It's a good sign though that you are seeing plenty of wets. Have you had a weight check yet?

Default Re: Growth Spurt?

his weight will be checked tomorrow at his 2 week check up