Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freaking out a little bit

Default Freaking out a little bit

OK, ladies. I need your help. We leave on our trip tomorrow evening . We will be gone for a week. Grace is staying at home and my mom is taking care of her. I know that my mom will spoil her rotten, like all grandmas do, and I know that she will care for her just as well as I do, but I cannot help but freak out a bit about leaving Grace. I know that it is good to have time away, and I have not been away from her for more than 9 hours; she is 3 weeks shy of turning one.

I have all of these paranoias. My first one is that ever-constant fear of SIDS. The history behind that is I have a friend whose DD died of SIDS 10 (yes, 10) days before her first birthday. Grace was not quite a month old when that happened. Ever since then it has constantly been on my mind. Another great paranoia is that something will happen to Grace where she will get hurt and I will be a billion miles away and unable to do anything or my mom will not be able to reach me if something does happen. (We do have our bases covered with that and have a document that states that my mom has the power to make medical decisions while Grace is in her care.) My last one is that something will happen to Steve and/or myself (mainly death) and we will not be able to care for Grace. (Again, we have our bases covered with this one with a document that states that my parents will get custody of her if something should happen.)

I am pretty sure that DH is about ready to slap me, but I feel like I have to voice all of these fears, irrational or not. Am I crazy? Will I think about all these things our entire trip and not enjoy the paradise we will be in? Calm me down. Talk me off that ledge. Tell me everything is going to be all right. Give me the reassurance I need to calm my nerves so I don't have to worry about this anymore. TIA, and I owe you all one.
    Robin

Default Re: Freaking out a little bit

NO you are not crazy!! i was thinking those things too and only because i was going out for a night......THat is crazy lol!! i think if you werent feeling those things then there would be something not right....that is so scary about your friends baby....how awful for them! i havent worried about sids in a long time, now im a little freaked out again!
    good luck to you...you are lucky to have a mom you can feel so comfortable with taking care of your lo! trust in that and have a great time!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

OK, now I'm freaking out a little bit. I thought that SIDS usually only occurs between birth and 6 months old? My LO turned 6 months a couple of weeks ago and I had a huge sigh of relief and thought I wouldn't have to worry about it (I still don't put stuffed animals in his crib, etc).

What happened???

Quote Originally Posted by Chennymoy View Post
    OK, now I'm freaking out a little bit. I thought that SIDS usually only occurs between birth and 6 months old? My LO turned 6 months a couple of weeks ago and I had a huge sigh of relief and thought I wouldn't have to worry about it (I still don't put stuffed animals in his crib, etc).

What happened???
    She was at daycare and the DCP had put her down for a nap. For some reason, within about 15 minutes after the last time she had checked on her, the DCP felt the need to check on her again. When she went in, Nora's littel butt wasn't in the air like it usually was when she slept. The DCP thought that was odd and went in for a closer look and realized that she was not breathing. After about an hour of trying to revive her at the hospital she was pronounced dead. I will never forget the call that I got from my friend the next day. Here is a link to the website that my friend has put together in honor of Nora. There is a link that details exactly what happened. I will warn you that it is very difficult to read, so have plenty of tissues handy.

http://www.kristvaag.com/nora/

As for the SIDS facts, the risk is from one month to one year. The risk of SIDS greatly decreases after 6 months and every month after that, but it is still present. Most babies who die from SIDS are between 2 months and 4 months old. Nora was a BF baby, was put to sleep on her back, and all the other steps to reduce the risk SIDS were taken, but it is not preventable, and I think that is the thing that most people are misinformed about. Since all this has happened, I have educated myself much more about SIDS and I urge all of you to do the same so we can do everything in our power to reduce the risk of SIDS and keep our babies safe.
    Robin

Okay - first mama you aren't crazy for thinking those things... I would say it would only be worrisome if you stopped doing things because of those thoughts. KWIM? Go and have fun and call your DD everyday if you have to... even if your mama says not to I took a week long trip a few years back and my kids were 9 and 10 and I called everyday. My mom said it was stupid to do it, but I didn't care - I needed to hear them. It made it better for me because I knew I would have a moment to touch base with them and it allowed for me to "relax" during the rest of the day.

another thought I just had - you're taking a camera, right? every time you snap a picture while you're thinking of her, think of how you'll explain to her how fabulous this trip was, when she's older. That way you can think of her, but it's not worry thoughts...

But make sure to show DH some attention too

Good luck - have a blast.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.