Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 Mths Old Refuses Solids, & Bottle will ONLY BF!

Exclamation 9 Mths Old Refuses Solids, & Bottle will ONLY BF!

My son is 9 months old, and will only exclusively breastfeed. I had posted before about this topic, but it seems it has gotten much worse. I have been very aggressive about trying to get him to take a bottle, even for trying for the last 9 mths I have NO success. I do NOT want to breastfeed any more. I am finding myself even more frustrated by him beginning to refuse the solids he once ate. At this point he has yet to accept any baby foods that contain meat. I even try to give him the ones with fruits so they are alittle sweeter. I have consulted the dr who gave me the same advice of waiting till he is VERY hungry and eventually he will accept a bottle. My son will scream and scream and go overnight till the next morning and still won't eat. This a big problem for me. I tried Nuby sippy cups, regular sippy cups, Playtex, Avent, Soothie, he isn't taking to any bottle I have a deep freezer full of frozen milk, and then some which half of it is probably wasted because it is older than 6 mths. I don't know where to go from here or how to get him to eat foods, and accept the bottle. I also have tried a dropper, which is extremely time consuming, but after a feeding or two he refuses that as well. Does anyone have any other thoughts? I am at the point of being desperate and trying anything.

Default Re: 9 Mths Old Refuses Solids, & Bottle will ONLY BF!

Have you tried a straw? My son has preffered drinking with a straw to sippy cups right now. Your son is probably catching on to your frustration now as well so thats probably contributing to his resistance as well. As for the meat in baby foods, for the most part my son refused those as well and even threw them ight back up at me once. I dont blame him, its nasty. Try offering some shredded chicken to him and see if he takes it. We did that for my son and he gobbled it down even though he'd never had it before. As for the bottle, is there a session that he nurses less at that you could have someone else give him the bottle without you being in the room or house? Some babies will refuse it if they think there is an alternative at all. to you.

Have you tried having someone else give him the bottle?
    I think if you try this, you must be out of the room as well. If he sees you, he'll know he can get food that way. Is he up all night screaming? Then you are trying to give him a bottle then? My DD was sleeping throught the night by 9mos. He may not really be hungry, just wanting comfort(I do understand that he gets comfort from BFIng). Can you find other ways to soothe him at night? Maybe a pacifier, or rocking/holding him, maybe singing a song to him or rubbing his back while in his bed. If he is crying all night, he is probably exhausted and might not be in the mood to try new things while being that tired. I think meat can be an acquired taste and many children don't like it. Can you find other foods that have the same hmmm.. drawing a blank on what word to use.... vitamins in them? He may like those better. Are you giving him what is on your plate, or trying to get him to eat it on his own? He might eat it better if Mommy is eating the same thing(not sure at 9mos is this okay?) We used jar food alot.
    Well,
    And take care,

Yes, I have tried bottles that have straws, the Nuby one along with a Gerber one no luck. He does not sleep through the night, he will wake up crying a couple times to eat. I do not try to get him to try the bottle in the wee am hrs, because mainly I knows then he wants comfort. I don't have ANYONE other than my husband to try to feed him, and he resists it just as much with him as well. The draw back is I am home with my two kids all day, so I try to offer him a bottle or other alternative to drink his milk. He will cry bloody murder forever, till I give in. I don't want to give in anymore. I have more than enough frozen milk to feed him to well over a year. I do try to offer him our food which at some points he refuses as well. I am just having no luck. And because I see him suffer for so many hours I give in, and start all over again. I appreciate the thoughts and advice, I just have no clue where to go from here. Not only to I have a miserable baby, but I am upset that this is so difficult. Thank you again for the hugs and thoughts.

have you tried just giving him a normal plastic cup.. My LO will not take a bottle at all and refueses to even try now. So we tried a cup and she would drink a little out of it. It is messy but she will drink out of a cup now also I ended up trying tons of sippy's with no luck until I bought the cheap cups the first years like four cups for a buck and she just started out of nowhere taking those. I made them available all the time. I am sorry you are having such a hard time and it is frustrating!! It makes it so difficukt just remenber that your baby feeds off of your emotions so if you are stress about the bottle while you are trying they sense that and they will not participate. I know it is silly but it is very much true..They feed off of your emotions. and you have tried finger food not pureed with your LO...? Mine likes to eat what we are..She is very stubborn and never went for the purees and anybody feeding her she likes to do it herself....GOod luck hang in there!!
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

My son is 10months old, and he didn't like pureed foods too. He would reject them altogether unless it was fruit. So I offered him softened veges that he could feed himself (carrots, potatoes) and shredded chicken and fish from the table.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I think the post about trying the straws didn't mean cups with straws, but rather take a regular straw, put into the liquid, put your finger over the hole on top, then put the straw into lo's mouth, then release your finger so lo gets the liquid. My lo would drink like that even when she refused a bottle. I eventually got her to take sippy cups, she still won't take a bottle. I figure at 8 mo old, it won't hurt her to just drink from a sippy and skip bottles. My lo still nurses , just uses sippy cup at meals.

Have you tried any foods other than baby foods. My lo picked up quickly to eating things like cheerios and Gerber Graduate fruit puffs. At first I mixed milk or water with the cheerios until she learned how to chew them, now she eats them dry. I would try putting some soggy cheerios on his high chair and see if he tries to self feed. My lo prefers to self feed verses me feeding her baby food. You can eventually go on to fruit/veggie chunks, ect. Good luck.

I also agree with pp, my lo has to have some of everything I eat. She gets mad if I don't share. She esp. likes my veggie soup and she'll eat parts of sandwiches, mashed potatoes, and oatmeal (big people kind--i guess it tastes better)
    Last edited by @llli*preggoplus3; March 26th, 2007 at 08:19 PM.