Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too sleepy to eat, too hungry to sleep

Default Too sleepy to eat, too hungry to sleep

My LO is four weeks old. Sometimes at night she gets into a pattern of falling asleep at the breast after only 5 minutes. Then she'll sleep for half an hour and wake hungry. But after afew minutes, she's had just enough to put her to sleep.

Last night I was up with her once an hour until i finally gave her pumped milk in a bottle. She ate and slept...finally.

Any suggestions for other solutions. I try everything to wake her, but she sleeps deeply.

Mag

Default Re: Too sleepy to eat, too hungry to sleep

Hi and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your newborn.

For a sleepy baby, I usually try rubbing his feet, massaging his back, changing his nappy, rubbing his ears.

And also, sometimes a baby falls asleep when the milk does not flow quick enough. In which case, breast compression helps.
    You can find a useful article titled "Breast Compression" at Dr Jack Newman's website here: http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    There is also a video there which shows a baby's eyes opening the moment he starts drinking!

HTH.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1