Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratch habit

Default Scratch habit

Sophie does this thing where she scratches things with all five fingers, as if she were "scrunching" a piece of fabric. It's one of two mandatory exercises when she inspects things. (The other is several good firm open-palm pats)

Anyways, the question here is an interesting one. She does this scratching on my left elbow when she's nursing on the left side, and it hurts. I have red claw marks on my elbow and she keeps doing it and making them worse. I can't say no, reach over, or wiggle without causing her to stop eating. But if I do anyways, once she starts eating again, she scratches some more. She only does it with her right hand. It seems to just be something she does to keep her hand busy, but she only does it with her right hand when nursing on the left side.

Does anybody know what this behaviour could mean, or better yet, what I can do to prevent her from clawing up my elbow??

Default Re: Scratch habit

I'm sorry that I don't have experience as far only being hit/scratched/slapped/pinched in one specific location. DS just doesn't seem to ever stop moving. He likes to play with my teeth, pull my hair, pinch and tug my breasts, all while nursing, every single time. Just know you're not alone when it comes abusive nursing.

Weird that it's only on one side... maybe she's right handed?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I don't think it "means" anything per se, but is totally obnoxious eh?!! My DS does all sorts of crazy things while nursing.

Have you tried a nursing necklace or something similar to keep the hand occupied?

Oh wait- I just read it again... the hand shes doing it with is the one thats underneath, right?? Yeah - that is no fun... my grabs at my back... I just try to tuck it under...

SOrry that wasn't very helpful..
    Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Lightbulb Re: Scratch habit

not sure what to tell you, but you're not alone, my ds does that too.i try and keep his nails pretty short, it seems to help. i also just ordered a nursing necklace in hopes that it will discourage the scratching. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Have you tried a nursing necklace or something similar to keep the hand occupied?
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen777 View Post
    i also just ordered a nursing necklace in hopes that it will discourage the scratching. hth
    I don't know if these things take time, but DS is not very interested in his new nursing necklace (from our very own Lori, it's so beautiful!). I'm still trying to get him to use it though.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Grace does the same thing only to my boob. It hurts like he** when her fingernails are long (like right now)! I just chalk it up to a comforting motion while she enjoys that boob milk!
    Robin

My son does the exact same thing only with both of his hands while nursing on both sides, so not only my elbow is all scratched but also my boobs are too He also scratches my face and whatever comes on his way. I even hear him scratching his sheet while he is asleep I don't know what to tell you but you are certainly not alone.

My DD scratches EVERYTHING...my arms, the walls, the floor, her Daddy's face. When she scratches the couch it makes a sound as appealing as a chalkboard. She is 8 months and it is going strong. She used to scratch her head a lot when she nursed to the point where she would hurt herself. I never knew what to make of it either but I think many babies do it.

My DS does the same thing but we call it "starfish paws" . We had a cat who liked to knead us like a piece of dough and then start sucking on your clothes (maybe she was weaned too early!). And this is what it reminds me of. Anyways I think its cute and we just keep his nails short.

I guess this motion is pretty typical, she also does it to her sheets while she's asleep and on any surface or toy... I guess all I can do is keep her nails short!

Funny, I never really compared it to the scratching that kittens do while they nurse, very similar though!