Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: white tongue

Default white tongue

Hi,
    My DS constantly has a white layer on his tongue from nursing. Is this normal? Do we need to clean it off or ok to leave it?

Default Re: white tongue

Do your nipples hurt or burn? Does he seem in pain, or is there any cracking/bleeding from the white stuff? Does DS have a really red looking diaper rash right now?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My LO had a white toung for awhile and my doc said it was from the milk. It went away on its own. Be sure it is not thrush....
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    Do your nipples hurt or burn? Does he seem in pain, or is there any cracking/bleeding from the white stuff? Does DS have a really red looking diaper rash right now?
    Hi, no, my nipples don't hurt and DS seems to be happy and healthy... he does have a bad diaper rash now, but the tongue has always had this white milky layer even before the diaper rash. So I don't think it's thrush rt?

Marymud, how long did your DS have his white tongue for? my DS has had it for as long as I can remember, it has never gone away...

My little girl got it around 2 1/2 months as a light white. It became progressively more noticable and then was gone all of the sudden around 4 1/2 months of age. Her doc has me "brushing" her gums and toung with one of those finger tip brushes - which she loved and loves more now that she is teething.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

DS had a white tongue from BF for the last 2 1/2 mos. When he started chewing on his hands more, it helped rub off the milk tongue. So now, he sometimes has a clean tongue.

LO has a milky tongue as well, when I bathe him that's the first thing I do is wash his tongue.

My little one had a white tongue for about 3 or 4 months. The pediatrician said it is just from milk. It stayed constantly for a long time and then, like a PP said, suddenly went away. As long as you are sure it isn't thrush, there's no need to worry.