Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply Regulation in Body

Default Supply Regulation in Body

I found the following (in bold, below) information at: http://www.angelfire.com/md2/moodyfamily/supply.html

I am wondering if this is true, or not, because I am in the process of trying to increase my milk supply (it was never established well, to begin with) and now at 11 weeks I am trying to get us on track. The following insinuates that milk supply cannot be increased past 3 months, if it was not properly established in the first place. I am curious because now I feel very hurried to get this fixed (as if I wasn't already stressed out enough about the situation and my lack of production!)

"During the early months of nursing, the prolactin receptors are laid down that control the body's ability to provide breastmilk long-term. Some research indicates that during the first three to four months of life milk supply is controlled through this process in the endocrine system. After that time it moves to the control of the autocrine system, leading some to think that milk supply can not be significantly increased after that time other than in situations like normal growth spurts."

Default Re: Supply Regulation in Body

"other than in situations like normal growth spurts"

Milk supply CAN be increased. The key to increasing supply is milk removal. Period. Is it easier in the early months? Probably. Is it impossible later? Absolutely not!

Hope that answers your question.

Default Re: Supply Regulation in Body

leading some to think that milk supply can not be significantly increased after that time other than in situations like normal growth spurts."
    Is it just me, or does this statement make zero sense? LOL

To the OP'er - this may help to explain how breastmilk is made - it's not from a LLL source but it is from a reputable source run by an IBCLC How does milk production work?

Many women who've never even had a baby can induce lactation and some even exclusively nurse their adopted babies.