Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foremilk / Hindmilk?

Question Foremilk / Hindmilk?

Good evening. I'm concerned that my infant may not be receiving enough hindmilk. Even though I'm not "clock feeding" my 6 week old daughter I DO keep an eye on the time just to make sure she's getting a good feeding. I do wonder, however, how many minutes into a feeding does she start receiving the valuable hindmilk? Thanks!

Default Re: Foremilk / Hindmilk?

There isn't a definite answer to this as far as time goes. Here's a good explanation of how the foremilk/hindmilk thing works. http://http://www.kellymom.com/bf/su...-hindmilk.html Honestly unless something else is going on like really slow weight gain or green, frothy diapers, it isn't something you really have to worry about. Some feedings she will get more than others, but that's okay.

I think it depends on the baby. My son never nursed for more than 5 minutes and he have always nursed on one side at a time. (Some babies nurse for 20 minutes on each side.) His weight gain has been OK and he never had the green poops which are the indicators for foremilk-hindmilk imbalance. So just watch for weight gain and poops, minutes do not show much.

I agree with PP, watching the clock is not the best indicator of how much hindmilk your LO is getting, as some babies might empty a breast in 5 minutes, and some might take 20! Unless you get indicators of an imbalance, like poor weight gain or green poops, there's no reason to worry about it.
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

What's the deal with green poops? My baby's had some recently, and he's been feeding more than usual, and kind of fussy. I thought he was just entering a growth spurt. Is this a sign he's not getting enough hind milk? Sorry if this is hijacking the thread!

bf poo should be a yellow colour. green poo is a sign that the baby is not getting enough hindmilk.

he's been feeding more than usual, and kind of fussy. I thought he was just entering a growth spurt. Is this a sign he's not getting enough hind milk?
    more info about ds would be helpful..age, frequncy of green poo. feeding habbits - on demand/schedule, do you time feeds? etc

I let ds nurse until full, give him a rest 10 mins then offer the other breast. Some people recomend block feeding...offer the same breast only during a 2-3hr period, then change breasts.

my ds occasionally had a green poo, usually after immunisations when he is sleepy and doesn't feed as well.

I feed him on-demand. He's 2.5 months, and gets the occasional expressed milk bottle from the babysitter, but almost exclusively feeding at the breast. I would say a fair number of his poops have been green the past few weeks, but he hasn't seemed off or anything except the last couple days, and that not too bad. I am definitely not timing his feeds. I occasionally pop him off if he's fallen asleep at the boob and only intermittently sucking, but otherwise I let him nurse as long as he wants. I put him on the second breast immediately if he comes off and seems to want more, but not always. His feeding pattern is pretty variable, but 1-3 hours during the day (usually depending on whether he takes a long nap) and 3-4 hours late night, more frequently in the early morning. I wouldn't be worried except for the poo color itself. Otherwise he seems fine (he's always been a little needy).

Oh, and I'm taking domperidone for low milk supply. I'm not aware that that affects fat content, but I suppose it might?

Just being green isn't necessarily a problem. This link has more info. http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

Also, if you're taking medication to increase supply, you probably wouldn't want to block feed as it decreases supply.

Hmm. I would say that "green and frothy" describes what they've been looking like lately, which is what that website lists as being a true imbalance. But I don't even feel my letdowns, it's hard to imagine that they are too forceful. And as pointed out, I don't want to do block-feeding. I guess I'll just make sure he really finishes each side when he feeds, and if it continues, maybe I'll call the pediatrician.