Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby's eye

Default baby's eye

I don't know where to post this but I need your help. One of my LO's eyes is very watery and is releasing a yellowish gook. Is this pink eye? His eye is not pink. I tried to squeeze some breast milk in there but he keeps closing his eye.
    Any idea on what this is or some remedies?

Thanks
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Default Re: baby's eye

If he is really little this is probably because his tear duct is not yet working properly. I would wet a cotton ball and wipe it over his eye to remove the yellow gook. Most times this problem should take care of it self. I took my LO to the ped when he developed this around 2 weeks and he told me not to worry about it. He also showed me a technique to do a couple times a day in which you take your finger and rub it up to his eye b/w eye and nose and then bring your finger down on the side of his nose. Cleared up in a few days.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by swedekarla View Post
    If he is really little this is probably because his tear duct is not yet working properly. I would wet a cotton ball and wipe it over his eye to remove the yellow gook. Most times this problem should take care of it self. I took my LO to the ped when he developed this around 2 weeks and he told me not to worry about it. He also showed me a technique to do a couple times a day in which you take your finger and rub it up to his eye b/w eye and nose and then bring your finger down on the side of his nose. Cleared up in a few days.

HTH
    LO is fourth months. Is his tear duct still developing?

May be a blocked tear duct, DS had that and I thought it was pink eye. It lasted a few months. I would check with the ped to make sure, our put him on drops to prevent infection, but I ended up massaging it and it got better. He is 5 months and no longer has it.

Yes, before visiting the ER for this consider a tear duct problem....(we took our DD to the ER thinking it was pink eye....in our defense it was Sunday and she was only 7 days old). The ER Doc told us to look at the white part of the eye and if that part is red then you might have an infection. At DD's two week apt. we were given some sort of drop to prevent infection for her plugged tear duct. Anyhow, could just be a tear duct problem...like PP stated. Good luck!!

I had something like this happen to me (not LO). I did compresses with a warm, wet washcloth and wiped away the yuck whenever I could and it cleared up on its own in a few days. However, I would watch for signs of infection as you do this, because the heat could make it an ideal breeding ground if there's an infection of some sort. But it might be worth a try for a day or so if you don't want to go see your ped. immediately. HTH

My lo is 3months & her eye started doing that at 1 month. Doc said it was a blocked tear duct. As pp said, clean it with a cotton ball & rub your finger from the corner of her eye down toward her nose. Usually the tears run down the back of the nose, but when it is blocked, it builds up in the eye. Will usually go away on its own, but can last for 10mo-1year. Hope this helps!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

i'll try your suggestions before going to the ped. I feel like ped are so quick to give medicine and antibiotics when the body can heal itself when given a chance.
    Of course, if it gets worse then I will go to the ped ASAP.

Update: It's pink eye. I didn't think it was until dad woke up and his eye was just as bad. We went to urgent care and got some medicine.

Thanks for your tips.
    Last edited by ielarran; March 26th, 2007 at 09:22 AM.

If it were pink eye, wouldn't you or someone else in your family have it? How long did your LO have symptoms? I thought the same about my DD. She wakes up and can't open her eyes. But it's just clogged tear ducts. I was told it can last up until 9 months. Just wondering.