Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby girl with swollen breasts

Default baby girl with swollen breasts

Hi, I am new here and have a question.
    My baby girl is almost one month old. Last night I noticed one of her breasts was swollen, and when I massaged it a bit milk came out. This kind of freaked me out a little and I am wondering how common this is.
    I know it is common when they are first born, but this just started yesterday.
    Any input is reaaly appreciated.

Default Re: baby girl with swollen breasts

I don't know how common it is sorry but my daughter had very swollen breasts till 6-8 weeks. My midwife and plunket nurse said it's common in breastfeed babies because some of the mothers hormones are past on through her milk. I was told that once the mothers hormones settle down the swelling and any milk will go from the child. I found it comforting for my DD to place a warm flannel across her breasts a few times each day.

I hope this helps a little

I agree with PP, the maternal hormones last for quite some time. If you are really concerned, you could ask your pediatrician, I went through the same thing at DD's 8 week checkup, and she said she has regularly seen it last in children up to a year old, I think it was, either that or even older.

Nothing to worry bout, i think its quite common, my SON had it as well.. ...the Ped told me not to squeze it or anything like that as it will go by itself, if I am not wrong he developed it around 1 month. So no worris.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it!