Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting before latching

Default Biting before latching

My son is nearly 10 months old, and is not supplemented. He breastfeeds anywhere from 5-7 times a day.

He gets very impatient as I get us ready to breastfeed. As soon as my breast is out, he clamps down with his teeth. Every time. I can generally get him to latch afterwards, and he still breastfeeds normally, but this initial biting makes me very nervous. I have tried to put him down, take him off the breast, etc. when he bites, but this only upsets him and makes him bite harder when I put him back on.

It has come to the point where my breasts are always aching and my nipples are red and raw.

Is there anything I can do to stop him from biting? He never bites when he is finished, save the few times he has fallen asleep. He is receiving enough milk, and does not act hungry after breastfeeding. I don't want to stop breastfeeding him, but it is getting very painful and I cannot seem to relax while he feeds anymore.

Thanks

Default Re: Biting before latching

I have heard that when your LO bites you are supposed to just say calm and firm something like "that hurts mommy, no biting" and if you yell out loudly it can turn into a game, they may think you are being funny or that it could scare them all together from breast. Here are just a few things I could find. Hope things get better soon!!!

What should I do if my baby bites me

When baby bites

Why are my nipples sore after months of pain free nursing

Sore nipples
    Last edited by surfinrn&mom2mason; March 25th, 2007 at 04:47 PM.

My dd does this too and has 6 teeth. OUCH! The links above are helpful. I always make her open wide and I kind of place my nipple in her mouth, protecting it with on finger if need be. Works most of the time. HTH!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I was thinking about this as I was nursing my lo. I thought of something I do at night that might help. In an effort to get a good latch and protect my nipple at night when it is dark, I sometimes put a couple of fingers over my nipple, touch his lips to make sure his mouth is open wide, then latch him on. Does that make sense?

I understand needing a different solution than just telling them no biting and removing. It works for some, but didn't work for us, either. Eventually he got through the phase (thank goodness!).