Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sippy Cups

Default Sippy Cups

i'd be interested in learning how other moms have introduced the sippy cup. my dd is 8 months and only seems interested in playing with the cup. she doesn't have a clue as to how to drink from it. i use a cup with a valve which makes it difficult for the drink to come out. i've tried demonstrating how to drink from it--but this doesn't help things. I'd also be interested in recommendations for the best starter sippy cups.

Thanks

Default Re: Sippy Cups

My 10 MO just figured it out. I've been giving them to her for months to see if she'd take them. At first I took out the valve so the water would just pour out if she got it positioned in her mouth (or anywhere else, for that matter--hence it was just water!). After she started figuring out that there was liquid in the cups, I put the valves back in and it's taken about a month, but she did finally get the hang of it just this week. The one she ended up figuring out was a playtex brand for beginners. It's shorter than the standard cup, which makes it easier for her to tip into her mouth. Also, I have to fill it alllll the way up so it hardly has to be tipped at all.

Anyway, that's just our experience. Hope it helps. Good luck! From what other moms have told me, you'll be lucky at 8 MOs if she figures it out soon. I think like everything they do, playing around with the cup is important to them learning how to use it.

Playtex sipster worked best for us. A couple other brands would spill easily when dropped?!? I would just give it to her to play with and eventually she will get it!

Nuby makes a sippy cup with a straw. That way, they don't have to tip it over to get to the liquid, but they can still drink without a mess. My daughter just turned a year, and it is the only sippy type cup she will use.

ds is almost 7 months and he won't really drink from a sippy but LOVES to drink from "big people" cups. if i have a glass of water and he is anywhere near me he makes a stink until he gets a drink or two.

I meant to mention drinking from "real" cups. DD, until she figured out the sippy, would always pitch a fit to have some sips out of my glass. Most of it ended up down her shirt or with her blowing bubbles in it, but that's the only way she'd drink anything (other than milk, obviously) for the past 3 months. I also have play cups in the bath for her that she practices with. She definitely gets a kick out of that!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Big people cups are what my daughter likes to drink from now, but I know they're not practical. I even toyed with the idea of skipping the sippy cup stage, but I don't think our daycare provider would appreciate this! At our center, babies are expected to be bottle free or mostly bottle free by the time they go to the early toddler room at 13 months. Oh well--I still have a couple of months. Like everything else with babies, patience is key.

On a side note, my dd is so entralled with cups and drinking glasses that I can't even take a drink while nursing her--she gets distracted, pulls away and starts grabbing for a drink!

That is so funny, my dd does the same!! She love big people cups - she does pretty good at drinking out of them, I might add. Well my dd is going on 7 months next week and she is able to drink from a sippy cup, she does much better of course if I hold the cup for her. But introducing the sippy cup all started when she absolutely would not take a bottle, so I decided to just go straight to the sippy cup. She was about 5.5 months old at that point. So I went out and bought two different kinds of sippy cups - one that you actually have to suck to get any thing out - this one was out of the question and did not work!, and another (I think by playtex) that doesnt' really spill unless you squeeze the spout. This one worked better bc all she wanted to do whent the spout was in her mouth was teeth it. So when she did that to her suprize water came out! She loved it, but she never did get the idea of actually drinking it, she just wanted to play. So anyway, as not to drag this along, what finally got her to catch on was for me to give her the cup when she was actually thirsty or hungry and so when she tasted it she would try and get more. Now I just use the cheap 97cent for four of them sippy cups and she drinks it perfectly!

I found that my Maya couldn't get anything out w/ the valve, either. I got her The First Years sippy cups. They're very cheap, and she can get liquid out, b/c you just have to suck a little bit. They will leak a little, but not much and I'm just putting water in it, anyway.

Jennifer