Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone give their LO Vitasol vitamins....

Default does anyone give their LO Vitasol vitamins....

Hi Mommies,
    My ped. gave me an rx. that I filled for Vitasol(has vit. a, d & c) but I haven't given it to my LO yet. I read on one of the sites (Kelly or Sears or GOrdon..not sure) that it is unnecessary. The discrepancy really bothers me. Why does the pedi prescribe it if she really doesn't need it. She had gained good weight. She is in the 50%bracket. I just want to know wht others may be doing.
    Eliz

Default Re: does anyone give their LO Vitasol vitamins....

We don't. I don't/didn't 'vitamin' any of my kids.

You asked why do they prescribe if she doesn't need it ... I'd venture to say its the mindset of "Just in case". KWIM? The other sites you mentioned most likely come from the other perspecive of "only when/if needed"
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

There is LOTS of information out there, and I know it's so confusing. I can tell you that Kellymom is a valid resource (all of her articles are evidence based, using peer reviewed journal articles). LLL has some info (and it, too, is evidence based and backed by their health council). Here's a link or two:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/Release/vitamind.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep03p75.html

You can read these and see if your baby is at risk for vitamin D deficiency. If not, you consider whether or not you wish to supplement, and can discuss it further with your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Beauty2iis View Post
    Hi Mommies,
    My ped. gave me an rx. that I filled for Vitasol(has vit. a, d & c) but I haven't given it to my LO yet. I read on one of the sites (Kelly or Sears or GOrdon..not sure) that it is unnecessary. The discrepancy really bothers me. Why does the pedi prescribe it if she really doesn't need it. She had gained good weight. She is in the 50%bracket. I just want to know wht others may be doing.
    Eliz

My ped also wanted me to give my son trivasol which is mainly for the vitamin D. I gave it to him a couple of times but it absolutely tastes horrible, and he is miserable with it. I am taking a vitamin D supplement along with eating many things with vitamin D so I know he will get some through my breast milk but not all he needs. I also to make up for the rest have been laying him on my couch in his diaper by my picture window in the morning when the sun is out. They do say that sun is the best source of Vit D and you don't have to watch your baby gag with it. My lo is even in the 98% bracket, and has gained outstanding weight, so I think the peds are just wanting all babies to take it due to new research.

Our pedi also told me to give it to DS. I decided not to because I live in Florida. Were outside alot and I can't imagine its necessary. Rather than ask if we spend time outdoors I think its easier and faster for them to prescribe something.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

A quote from Health Canada Website http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutriti..._d_supp_e.html

"A population health approach to vitamin D supplementation is warranted because it is not practical, nor cost-effective to screen all mothers and infants for vitamin D deficiency."

Personally I don't give it to DS2. I did give it to DS1 when I remembered. Which wasn't often, maybe once a month. We are outside enough and with summer coming I am not too worried.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

We don't. Our ped said isn't wasn't necessary, especially since i'm still taking my prenatal vitamins.
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

My pedi also gave me a prescription but I don't know what happened to it... my husband took it but we didn't fill it. D is best from the sun and with spring here you can get plenty. babies need about 15 minutes per day if just their face and hands are exposed. If more is exposed they need even less!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

As mentioned in my OP the vitamins contain A & C also.
    We go out daily and get some sunshine and I BF by the windowns A LOT just to make sure she keeps her night and day in check. My question was really about the Vit A and C. Since my diet is so limited these days with her allergies and reflux ( I do take vitamins myself) I am a bit concerned about her needing more.
    Eliz

The pediatrician gave the other vitamins because that's the only way vitamin D is marketed in the USA. There is no single vitamin D supplement, only A,C, D and other formulations that also include iron and some that even contain flouride. So, it's not that your baby neccessarily needs those vitamins, it's just that it's the only way you can get the vitamin D supplement.

Your breastmilk is the perfect food for YOUR baby. No worries!

HTH!