Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: any experience with Babywise?

Default Re: any experience with Babywise?

A friend of mine loves Babywise and does it with all her babies. But, every time, she has a supply issue, the babies fail to thrive even though they are good-sized at birth, and she ends up weaning early.

IMHO, it's because she never gives her body and baby a chance to "get together" to build a good supply as she gets so focused on the "schedule" that she ignores when the baby might be hungry between times -- like during a growth spurt .
    This is PRECISELY why LLL does NOT recommend putting your baby on a feeding schedule of any kind.

http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/schedule.html

Jen
    Last edited by LLL LactoJen; March 27th, 2007 at 10:57 PM.
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I read a bunch of articles on this last night because I was curious what all the fuss was about. Holy cow, the things those mothers do in order to stay strick ti their schedule. Letting a one week old baby cry it out for over 45 mins. My heart was breaking just thinking about it. I was actually nursing my lo the whole time I was reading. Your baby is not allowed to be nursed to sleep, or even rocked to sleep. And this was just the infant way. It goes on to toddlerhood. Your supposed to flick a 6 month old baby in the mouth if he is looking around at the dinner table to teach manners. If the problem persist, your to put them in isolation. A 6 MONTH OLD??? SERIOUSLY?!!!!! IMHO I dont know how anyone could think that was appropriate for a baby?

I agree with all the previous posts. This book is too harsh for a baby. Mine is 7 weeks and we eat when she is hungry. She has formed a bit of her own schedule, but it changes because she is growing and her tummy is too. So don't be so anxious for a schedule just yet. My oldest didn't have one by my standards, and is three now and does just fine. She had horrible bedtime routines, and now sleeps through the night, potty trained and all. I did read the book "on being toddler wise" and I think if one is desparate for a schedule, it is more feasible as the child is older and more able to put off eating, and sleeping to match the parents routine.

Quote Originally Posted by barb View Post
    KrystleDawn wrote:
    Speaking of the AAP, I think they were investigating Ezzo's parent-directed feeding methods for causing failure to thrive.
    Concerned and confused by what I had read about and from the Ezzo books, I had done a bit of research on the internet, and found no evidence that this was true. The only thing I did find was an AAP alert addresing SCHEDULED FEEDINGS VS. DEMAND FEEDINGS, saying:
    (AAP) reaffirms its stance that the best feeding schedules are ones babies design themselves. Scheduled feedings designed by parents may put babies at risk for poor weight gain and dehydration.

and this:

In all the years since Babywise was first published (1993) the AAP has never issued a warning against the Ezzos or Dr. Bucknam specifically, nor against their books and other teaching.* In fact, immediately after that opinion piece by Dr. Aney appeared in the AAP News, Dr. Bucknam, co-author of Babywise (and Board Certified member of the AAP) received a phone call from the (then) president of the AAP, Dr. Joseph Zenga. Dr. Zenga personally invited Dr. Bucknam to write a rebuttal article to be published in next issue of the AAP News. Dr. Bucknam's article appeared in the May 1998 edition, one month after Dr. Aney's article was published.
    Last edited by dorothy; April 1st, 2007 at 02:20 PM.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Quote Originally Posted by dorothy View Post
    Here's the other website where you can read some background on the Ezzos. http://www.ezzotruth.
    That site is pro-ezzo. You can't exactly trust them to be 100% spot on, either.

I appreciate the post earlier on LLL's stance on scheduling feedings for newborns. There are many ways to find solutions for sleep for mom and baby and ways to meet baby's needs that complement, rather than jeopardize, the breastfeeding relationship.

It is important to understand what babies needs are and how one can respond to those needs appropriately for that child's age and developmental stage. La Leche League's philosophy as it relates to child-rearing is: From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings. LLL's book, "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" explains this concept in more detail. Your local LLL group or public library will most likely carry a copy to lend for free, and copies can also be found in bookstores and online stores, also.

"Explaining the basics of LLL philosophy can help us gain a greater understanding of the wide range of lifestyles that can be encompassed by it."

Every family finds ways to meet their needs and their baby's needs as each family is unique--there is not a "one-size fits all" solution for everyone. It may help to know what "baby-led feedings" look like for a variety of families, as a variety of mothers' experiences can be very enlightening and empower a mother to choose what might work for her family best.

Some of the best resources do not come from books--they are mothers' experiences! Attending LLL meetings and asking how other mothers survive the early weeks, and then going on and making the choices that feel best according to one's intuition, is one way to make sense of the new challenges that accompany becoming a mothering. LLL meetings are open to new mothers and a membership is not required to attend. Many mothers find the encouragement at meetings vital to building their confidence in this new experience of motherhood. Leaders share information and many times, the pieces of information shared are helpful to mothers in their information gathering and decision-making. Some mothers find the support that LLL offers to be so helpful, they decide to become a Leader and offer support and information to other women interested in breastfeeding!

Eve
    LLL Leader
    Last edited by LLLMamaEve; April 1st, 2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: adding a link in

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    That site is pro-ezzo. You can't exactly trust them to be 100% spot on, either.
    YES true!

That's why I like to read all the pros and the cons and then some more... usually there isn't one point of view that has all the "rights" or one resource that has covered all the corners.

I don't agree with everything the Ezzos say either, especially their take on feeding for infants. But some of the things that have been written about them are not true. I just feel it's good to be fairminded and to be able to separate the issues. My own 2 cents' worth.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1