Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any experience with Babywise?

Default any experience with Babywise?

Anyone have any experience trying the book "On Becoming Babywise" by Gary Ezzo? I am starting to think that my baby may need some routine, and am hoping some of you may have read the book. It seems to swing too far in one direction for me,....they don't seem to support breastfeeding as much as I would have hoped, but some things seem to make some sense to me. My main concern is that my little girl seems to like to be a snacker during the day. I want her to take in a full feeding more often. I need some middle ground between the attatchment parenting and the scheduled feeding camps though!

Default Re: any experience with Babywise?

I haven't read the book, but I have heard from many people that it's waay too extreme, like you mentioned.

It is possible to create a loose routine without going to the extremes. How old is your baby? That will determine a lot of what you can realistically expect. If your LO is still pretty young, you may have to go with flow a little longer. It's also possible that if this "snacking" is a new thing that you may just be going through a growth spurt.

Hope to be able to help you out!

This book is SO not middle ground. IMHO, it's best place is not on the bookshelf but in the garbage can. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is how I feel. The Ezzo philosophy just does not mesh well with breastfeeding, and I have seen it destroy many a breastfeeding relationship (and even scarier, the method has led to failure to thrive in some babies ).

I didn't know how old your baby was, so I just read your other message. Your baby is only 4 weeks old. I'm sure it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to your dd's schedule, but that will change as she grows.

In your other post, you mentioned that you were experiencing overactive letdown. How is that going now?

You would like your baby to eat more at a time and go longer between feedings, but I don't know how often she is feeding now, or what your day looks like. Ideally, what are your goals? What would you like to see happen?

i've heard the same things as the pp, but also have a friend who ebf and her baby did great on it. I guess it just depends. I read the book, and kind of tried a modified version. I never let my baby CIO. I would say, as with any books or advise, use your judgment and go with your instints.

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I followed the book in the midst of a colicky baby b/c I was so desperate. It probably worked better for me b/c my LO was never a snacker and slept thru the night at 10 weeks. BUT I did let her cry through MANY naps and bedtime. I will say that now I can put her down for a nap MOST Of the time and she'll go right to sleep. We do follow the schedule of eat, play, nap no matter what. Even if, say, she wakes early from a nap I just feed her and follow the routine.

As for sleeping thru the night...this proved to be a problem. Because she wasn't gaining weight properly and was trying to make up for calories during the day. All I did though was set my alarm to get in 1 extra feeding at night.

I have not read it, but my friend that "swears" by it also had her milk dry up in 4 months. So....I'm not sure if that is related, but she did not feed on demand only according to the schedule in the book.

Smile Re: any experience with Babywise?

I bought the book and tried to read it. While there are some good points in the book I also found it a bit extreme and almost overwhelming...so much so that I had to put it down because it made me feel like if I wasn't doing what they suggested in the book that it would be impossible to get my child on a schedule. Maybe it was just me in my "fragile new mommy" state!

There are some other threads about that book on this forum, but I honestly dont remember where right now. Do a search for Babywise and see what comes up I guess.

My SIL gave me that book because my cousin swore by it. I think it has a few good principles BUT it did not work for me.

I fed on demand and let the baby dictate a lot of the schedule and DD is definently pretty schedule driven. She is almost 9 months and pretty far from sleeping through the night. But, we co-sleep and it works just fine. I do not recommend the book, same as pp.

You have a new baby and want to do the best that you can as her mom How, when, why and how much are all normal questions and concerns. LLL does not support any type of baby scheduling for eating or sleeping. That said if you follow your babies cues you will see that after time she will develop her own routine, many will wake in the am, be awake for a short period and then nap, eat, be awake, nap ect all day. No "ezzoing" has to be done. Also, as the pp said many many moms do have problems with their milk supply and also some FTT for some children has also been an issue. Many babies like my own are small and bc breast milk digests in about an 1.5 hours it is unrealistic to ask them to wait 3 or hours in between a feed. LLL believes that mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural way to mother. Many mothers, nurse on cue when their baby is hungry, tired, bored ect... Dr. Sears says that you should always respond to your baby in the beginning right away and then as they grow you will know when it is ok to make them wait a bit... Follow your heart, listen to your intuition and you will do a great job! Remember to look with in and not to a book for what is right for you and your family! Something that I personally have issues with in concerns to the book is that it teaches you to look at the schedule to see why your baby is crying and to go to the book and not follow your heart when it comes to your parenting descions...Just my personal soapbox.. Brittan-