Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: And I thought I was a professional nurser

Default And I thought I was a professional nurser

I don't know where to start. I nursed my son until he was 4 years old. I thought I knew everything there was about nursing and I was not the least bit nervous when my son was born in January I took for granted that we would have the same experience as before. My doctor told me to supplement because he was 5 oz from his birth weight at his 3 week check-up. He also told me that my milk probably did not have enough "fat calories" and it was better to be safe than sorry. Well I started giving him 2 bottles a day each 2 ounces for a total of 4 oz of formula a day. When we went back in 5 days he had gained 10 oz and I was elated! The doctor told me that the formula did not put the weight on him and everything was fine. The problem was that I started doubting my self and starting giving 3 bottles a day and he started crying and screaming when I tried to nurse him. He acts like I am doing something terrible to him I can't console him at all. The only time he will half way nurse is in the early morning when he is still asleep. Then I get all excited and think we are going to have a good day and It goes like the rest I offer the breast he refuses and he gets a bottle. I have tried to feed him with a syringe and out of a cup and that did not work at all. He also takes some time to latch on to the bottle he acts like he can't find the nipple when it is in his mouth. I have bought a double breast pump and have been pumping for a month with little luck because I can't let down to the pump. I really want to nurse this baby because he is my last child and I have such special memories with my older son. I feel un-natural holding a bottle and very un-comfortable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: And I thought I was a professional nurser

Hmmm...the behavior with the bottle, too, leads me to think nipple confusion. Shaking head from side to side is a pretty classic sign.

Is the only time he nurses in the morning? What about at bedtime? Naps?

Here's some info on getting baby back to the breast:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.kjsl.com/~cee/confuse.htm
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov99p99.html

Have you called your local LLL Leader for support?

I am so sorry you are going through this!

I wholeheartedly second the suggestion to call a leader for some support. It does sound like nipple confusion could be an issue. The previous post provided some great resources.

Let us know how you're doing!

Lisa

Sometimes after he has had his bottle he will play with the breast for a little while. He will latch on then smile and pull off. Other times he arches his back and screams. I was trying to nurse him before every bottle to see if he would and that does not work. I think if my milk would let down faster he would take the breast better but my milk supply is getting lower because I have been pumping less. Thanks for the links they were helpful!

Can you tell if he is tongue tied? I had a similar situation with DS2 and that ended up being the problem. I ask because you mention he has a challenge with the bottles too sometimes. Maybe your ped. can let you know. Mine said nothing until I specifically asked why his tongue looked the way it did and even then it took me awhile to learn that was why it was so hard for him to nurse.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165