Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing only on one breast, the other has "died?"

Post Nursing only on one breast, the other has "died?"

Hi there

I have some trouble with my milk supply. I have been experiencing nipple pain in my right breast and it got to the point that I could not even pump. I was hand expressing. It was cracked open and bleeding at times. Ouch!. My problem is this: because of this I have not been offered my right breast to my LO for a couple of week now. My left is working great and because I can not hand express enough from the right one my supply is very-very low. My nipple seemed to heal, so I offered my right breast today to her, and it kind of cracked again and she seemed like she doesn't know how to latch on properly and I could not hear her swallow and ever since my pain started I don't feel any letdown.
    Should I consider taking fenugreek? I really don't want to stop or give up on BF. although there has been some other times when I thought I would, but I don't know how much longer I can handle the pain. I will do anything to get my supply back.
    I need some advices, because this matter is always on the back of my mind.

Default Re: Nursing only on one breast, the other has "died?"

Hi there,
    There is no reason you have to stop BF! Would you consider just nursing dd on the well-producing side? It's perfectly fine to do so.

If you want to increase supply on the other side, you probably realize that you need to pump/express/nurse on that side more than you are. If you choose to do this, it would be helpful to be seen by a local LLLL or IBCLC so that she can tell you why you are experiencing pain/trauma on just that one side.

Fenugreek will only work if you are expressing more frequently. It just won't work on its own!

Let us know what you think!

What are you using to try to heal your cracked breast? You are applying lansinoh or something like that? also putting some expressed breast milk on ouchy nipples is supposed to help. I would say focus on healing the bad side and just feeding off the good side, then once you're healed you can get your supply up with lots of pumping and nursing.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Hi Andi,

I wanted to post to you yesterday afternoon, but kiddos have really limited my time online lately.

Have you considered whether you might have thrush? That might be an explaination as to why you have nipple trauma that doesn't seem to want to heal. It is possible to have thrush symptoms on only one side. Here's a link to more info: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html .

Also, I am wondering if LO has always nursed poorly on the sore side, or if this is a rather recent development. Sometimes babies get the hang of latching onto one side better than the other. You might want to take a look at this information on proper latch and positioning, just to see if there is something you might be able to fix about LO's latch on the sore side: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/positioning....d%20on%20Well?

Some moms find that an adjustment by a chiropractor who specializes in treating infants can be a help when baby nurses well on one side and not on the other.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

Smile Re: Nursing only on one breast, the other has "died?"

Hello everyone

Thank you for your responses. Yes, I am using Lansinoh, which I think has helped a little bit. Like I said, I am hand expressing. My nipple looked very nice a few days ago, it looked like it healed, and then I nursed, but then after that it opened up again. My sore side used to be the better side for me, but thank God my left up kept up with the right and luckily I am producing enough milk. Tomorrow I am going to a drop in program, where I can talk to "healthy babies healthy nurses", and I am going to talk to them about the latching. They are very helpful and take their time to help with all the breastfeeding questions.

Thank you again

Hi Andi,

I'm glad you have someone locally you can turn to with your breastfeeding questions. Let us know how it goes!

Tiana

Hi there Tiana,

Well, today went great. I talked to the nurse and showed her how DD was latching on and we figured out that the problem might be with that. She opens up wide, but when she's on the breast her tongue slides back and forth and that what caused the crack. My nipple is much better now, and I started nursing more frequently on that side, but I still have some crack on the bottom half of my nipple. We tried the football hold, but I still have to figure that position out, because my daugther is so long, or the nurse suggested that I should try laying down. I'll definetly try everything something has to help. I'll stay positive.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi Andi,

I'm so glad the nurse was able to help you figure out what the problem is. Sometimes it takes a little time to heal a crack, even after the problem has been fixed. Do you have any Lansinoh? That might speed up the healing and make nursing on that side a little less painful.

Keep us posted,

Tiana

I have nearly stopped nursing on one side altogether. It has always been my "low" producer, and when I got pregnant, the supply really went downhill on that side. I still seem to make a fair amount of milk on the good side--mind you, my dd is 15 months old, so its not as much of a concern, but my Left just never made as much milk. We always had enough though--but I do recommend doing what you can to keep a supply in that breast. It sounds like you are doing great!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thumbs up Re: Nursing only on one breast, the other has "died?"

Hi There Tiana,

Well, I can provide with some news. I was jumping the forums and threads the other day and I found a link about sore nipples. I started reading and it said that you could get sore, cracked nipples if you are taking oral contraceptives. Well, I called my "healthy baby healthy nurse" if she knew anything more about it, asked my family doctor, but they both said they have never heard of it. I knew it could affect my supply. Anyhow, I stopped taking the pills (will find some other alternatives) and like a miracle my nipple is almost healed, no more pains, although my dd refused to nurse from that one for a little while, but now she is back to normal. I'm glad I didn't give up, I was close though.

Thanks for your concerns, Andi