Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best nipple type for supplemental feeding

Question Best nipple type for supplemental feeding

Is one brand better than another for 34 week 2000 gm baby who needs supplemental feeds: we have tried the cup and syringe without great success (very time consuming)
    So far we have tried NUK latex and similac orthodontic. It is a real stretch for him to really get his lower lip properly around the Nuk !

Default Re: Best nipple type for supplemental feeding

I have no idea if there is an answer to this....there are a ton of choices out there. But here is my experience: My DD was born just shy of 34 weeks. Our favorite NICU nurse suggested that we bring in the bottles that we planned to use at home, to get her used to those instead of the ones they were using. We used the AVENT and she took to them right away AND had no problems nursing as well. Even in the NICU when she was only a few weeks old she had no problem going from the bottle to the breast during the same feeding. So we had a lot of good luck with those. Remember to start with newborn nipples or the #1's (sorry if that's is something you already know...I had a friend who still had her 18 month old on the #1's becuase no one ever told her there were different numbers.....). Good luck!

My DD was born at 25 weeks and used the Soothie pacifiers during her NICU stay. She has had great difficulty with all her feedings (OG, bottle and breast), but I think we finally found a nipple that works for her. Soothie now makes bottles with 2 stages of nipples. She used the stage 2 (medium to fast flow) when she first came home (after we stopped using the nipples the NICU sent home) and is now using the Stage 1 (slow to medium flow) nipples as we try to wean her from teh bottle. She seems to benefit from the similarities between the pacifier and the bottle nipple and I've noticied her suck at breast is stronger too. Hope that helps!

My son was also born at 34 weeks. In the NICU, he had an NG tube and it wasn't too long before he was taking bottles. I didn't get to nurse for the first few days.

However, we had great success using Dr. Brown's when he came home. I supplemented at every feeding (after nursing) with pumped milk.

But now that I'm home full-time, he's full-time breastfed. And he's 10 1/2 months old and an eating champ!