Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cry and push off?

Default Cry and push off?

I know this is a "Mother to Mother" type of environment, but I hope you'll allow a dad to solicit some advice.

My wife and I have a beautiful almost 6 week old baby girl, our first child. At first she been breastfeeding like a champ with very little incident. As of about two weeks ago, she picks one or two feedings each day where she will latch, take some milk then become visibly upset, cry and push off. She's obviously still hungry as she will almost immediately start rooting for anything touching her face but a return to the nipple will result in the same result. This process repeats over and over.

Again, this isn't every feeding and when she pumps and I bottle feed her she doesn't respond this way. It's also not a consistent time of day. A pacifier doesn't produce the same response either. We're kind of at a loss. The doctors always talk very vaguely that it could be alot of things. They talk about allergies, but wouldn't this affect all the feedings? They seem to not be very concerned as her weight gains are acceptable and she's not sick in any way.

It's driving us nuts(much more so my wife, as you can imagine) but it's to the point where we can't seem to figure it out and the breast is the only common denominator, as inconsistent as it is. My wife is concerned about her going hungry and is considering formula. Neither one of us is thrilled with the prospect but we also can't imagine that what our little girl is going through to be pleasant either.

Does anyone have any advice? Is this really just "fussiness" as the doctors imply?
    Thanks in Advance!

Dan

Default Re: Cry and push off?

Congratulations on your new little one and WELCOME! We love seeing dads here- it's awesome when you solicit advice from us. We're here primarily to help each other make breastfeeding work, regarless of the gender of the person writing a thread on here.

Anyway, it sounds like your wife might have something called OALD. "Over active letdown"> it is kind of like trying to drink from a firehose on full blast for a baby! What happens is with some moms, their milk can come out really, really fast and make your baby choke/sputter/cough and become fussy. Sometimes also causing burps, which makes them even more fussy.
    Here is a link to a non-LLL site that is REALLY great in explaining a lot of breastfeeding topics http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I had this problem in the beginning and it was very confusing for me. I'd never heard of this so knowing more about it really helped me. There are several things you can do to help it (if this is what the trouble is) and that site explains a lot of them.

I've been up since 3:15 and am very tired so I will let other mamas come on and explain more. Hope that helps you and good for you for helping out. You're an awesome Daddy!!

Hi Dan and welcome! I have to say I agree w/ the previous post! I went through the same thing when my LO was about 5wks. It was do to a over active let down (OALD)! Luckily for me, Chloe soon learned how to "deal" with it so she stopped the crying and pushing off a couple weeks later. Hopefully some other mamas here can help a little more. For now just encourage your wife to keep up the BFing, cause trust me, as a mom who formula fed her first child, it is not easier to go that route. Hang in there.

Could be oald; or it could be that the milk's not coming out fast enough to keep your lo happy (in which case, you could try switching to the other breast and see if she likes that side better); or it could be that your lo has gas in her stomach that is causing her discomfort and distracting her from eating. My own lo has cried for all three reasons at one time or another. He gets particularly gassy at night, and so often I will stop feeding him for a while-- even if he's still hungry-- and do all I can to get rid of all the gas before I feed him anymore; this helps him to calm down for the night, plus then he's not fussy at the breast anymore, which is a relief for everybody.

Good luck!

Welcome, Dan! No, we love to see dads on here. It's so heartwarming to see dads who understand what an integral role they have in the breastfeeding relationship.

As PP have said, it does sound like it could be OALD, or it could also be "nipple confusion" (nipple preference, really). One key to the problem is WHEN your LO pulls off and cries. Is it when (or right after) the milk lets down? Because that could be a clue that the milk is coming out too fast and she can't handle it (OALD). But if she is pushing off and cring BEFORE the milk lets down, this could be simple frustration at how long it takes (and how much she has to work at it) in comparison to the bottle. Since she is taking bottles at a comparatively young age, it is very possible that she is learning to prefer the faster, easier flow of the artificial nipple. There are several remedies to this, and one of the easiest is for your wife to pump/hand express milk until she lets down and then latch the baby - since the milk is already flowing, there will be less frustration.

As you can see, these are two almost opposite problems, so it would definitely be important to figure out which one it is. Like I said, if your LO is pulling off before or after let-down is a big clue. I would also highly recommend seeing an LC, or a local LLL leader if possible, to get some in-person advice.

Again, it's great to see a dad on here!!! Please post again and let us know you three are doing!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

I had serious issues with OALD myself. Another way you could tell that it is OALD is if your wife sprays milk when your daughter disengages. I had to keep a spare cloth diaper handy for a couple of months for that very reason.

Best of luck!
    Millie

don't be afraid to search out your local LLL leader and talk to her she's around to help.
    Sometimes babies just fuss and you realy never figure out whats up with them.

Hi Dan,
    The first few weeks of my son's life I could not get him to burp and just thought well maybe he doesn't have to...he would pull off the breast like you are explaining....well I finally realized that he is a stubborn burper, and I had to move him around a little to get him to burp..so maybe try burping him diffrent ways and see if a little bubble will come up.....otherwise if that is not it ...when he keeps pulling off, try switching breasts and see if that does it...maybe instead of oald it is actually not coming out fast enough for him..my son is a little piggy and was this way...so by switching breasts you will have a let down again....or if you don't want to switch sides then do breast massage till her milk lets down........take note on if your baby pulls off when letdown occurs or is happier when it lets down....that will tell you if it is oald or a piggy eater....good luck

When this happens to us, it is because she doesn't like the position she is in. I will switch her to a football hold & it makes her happy. Just another thought. The other times she does this is because the milk is not coming out fast enough. Breast compressions while she is nursing has helped a lot.

Good luck & hang in there!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06