Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Exclusively

Default Pumping Exclusively

Hi,
    I have a 16 day old. I began nursing her right after birth and nursed her for the first 3 days while in the hospital. I had problems though because she was such a strong sucker and would often pull off the breast in the middle of a feeding. She latched well though. I had a lot of support in the hospital, but we still had to supplement a couple of times because she wouldn't stay on the breast. Nursing was extremely painful and my nipples were very damaged and bleeding. When we got home, I tried but couldn't do it. I have a very good electric double pump and began using that. I have been exclusively pumping since then. My milk came in with no pain or problems and everything was fine for the first week and a half.

Now lately I will have painful let down even when it i not time for me to pump. Is this normal? Will pumping for a few minutes between feedings to relieve engorgment make me produce more? I also feel cramps in my breasts occasionally. My baby will sleep for 6 hours at night as well. I am producing plenty of milk and she is giving us output and gaining just fine, but should I be waking her anyway? She eats more often in the day with a total of 6 feedings in 24 hours and an average of about 22 onces a day.
    Also how will I know when to increase the amount I give her? If I was nursing she would just eat more, but since I control how much she gets, its up to me.

Thanks for any help and sorry its such a long post.

Default Re: Pumping Exclusively

The letdowns between feedings are completely normal. You will notice this less as your lo gets older. It sounds like maybe you got a little overwhemed with the the new baby thing and sore nipples on top of that (which is completely understandable.) Have you considered getting some help and giving direct bfing another go? There is help out there and in the long run, you will probably think the initial hard work was worth it.

It sounds like you're doing great!

Are you interested in getting your baby back to the breast? If so, please do find some local help. Once you and baby both get the hang of it, breastfeeding directly is SO much easier than exclusively pumping.

I have thought about putting her back on the breast. Her sucking has not diminished with the bottle from what I can tell when I put my finger in there. However, I was pretty traumatized the first time around and I am afraid that if it gets that bad again, I'll end up giving up and going to formula. Right now pumping is working and I will have to pump when I go back to work anyway. I just realized that I need a bigger size shield for my breast pump though. I started to have pain this past week with pumping, but its the sides and the areola that hurts not my nipple. I looked up how the fit is supposed to be and realized mine are too small. Oh well. I will get it all figured out eventually.

Thanks for the help. Also, is it normal to have some residue on th breast? Its white right after I pump then as it dries becomes more yellowish/ flesh colored.

It is amazing how much help a good IBCLC can be! Even if you have to pump when back at work, you would still be able to bf at night and on weekend. I would say give it a shot and make sure the LC understands what a rough time you had the first time around.