Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: by when do babies nurse for shorter periods

Default by when do babies nurse for shorter periods

My LO now nurses for about 40 minutes much less than in first few weeks, but I wonder if it will stay at 40 for some time. If not, around when do babies normally eat quicker?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: by when do babies nurse for shorter periods

For us, it got noticeable better at 3 months and by 5 months, she's a pro. There's too much else going on. She can be done in 10-15 minutes if she sets her mind to it. The problem is, you never know if you're getting slowpoke Sally or efficient Ellie. And usually you get the slowpoke when you least have time for it. If you're watching a good movie and will be there for hours, she's done in 10 minutes.

I've had the same experience as the poster above. About 3 months was a turning point.

I would be happy if DS had nursed for that long at any stage in the game. On the contrary...he has only ever nursed for about 15 minutes at the LONGEST...even as a newborn. This always made me a neurotic freak, constantly worrying about whether or not he was getting enough. In a few months you will be wondering the same thing, "is he getting enough?" because he'll be nursing so quickly. and enjoy this time!

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

It was around three months for my LO.

it was about three months for us too, i was worried at first.
    the nice lady at my dr's kindly told me to shut up and not worry, lol!

About three months seems to be the magic age.

Good to hear! I keep hearing about the 3 month mark being the magic time...looking foward to it
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com