Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I plan to breastfeed past 12 months

Default I plan to breastfeed past 12 months

My daught turns one in april and I hope to feed her to about three years maybe more but even other extended breastfeeding mums frown on going past three years. I want to do what is right for me and Loralei and at the moment that is feeding Loralei whenever she wants.

Already I'm getting alot of comments about how wrong it is to still be feeding her, that I should wean her asap, that my milk is useless now, that my hair and teeth will fall out soon, that I'm spoiling her and making her dependant on me, and on and on go the comments. I know none of its true but being a young single mum I begin to doubt myself and my choices.

So I'm looking forward to reading the threads and forums and being able to see what others think

Default Re: I plan to breastfeed past 12 months

is she your 1st baby?
    After a while you learn who to share with that you are still nursing.
    only share with supportive people!
    My dd is almost 4 and she is still nursing to go to bed at night, she slowly weaned herself from all the other feeds.
    LAst night was the 1st nght ever that she fell asleep with out nursing to bed and it was quite on accident on her part. She was so tied and fell asleep watching tv. She never does that. I was shure she would as when she got up but shedidn't.
    Most people assume that she is weaned and I just let them think that.
    Your not going to change somebodies mind by sharing, and if it causes you to ? what you are doing its not good for you either.

I hope that you find the encouragement and support you need here...there are many mums here who have nursed well beyond age 3! We are at 15 months and still nursing, and I intend to nurse until Haylee has had her fill. I doubt that will be until 3, because she doesn't appear to be the kind of baby that will hang on that long, but if it is, that will be great. I hope we aren't still nursing when she goes to kindergarten...that's my limit right now, but my limits have changed as we have progressed in our nursing relationship!

Anyway, great job Mama!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Question Re: I plan to breastfeed past 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by _proudmum_ View Post
    that my milk is useless now, that my hair and teeth will fall out soon,
    I have heard this quite a bit. I have been losing a lot of hair, too. Is there any truth to these statements?

My LO is 12 months and I am only looking to drop the noon feeding while I am at work. I have no interest in weaning right now.

Julie

I nursed for three years and still have all my teeth and plenty of hair! That's just silly. Whoever told you that is not a very reliable source. A lot of people start worrying about spoiling around 12 months. It is a time when babies start to assert themselves and explore and also cling. And everyone has an opinion. Especially for first time mothers. They may think you WANT the "advice." If you display an air of confidence they may be less likely to criticize. The fact that you plan to do it will be very helpful. I learned that defending yourself sometimes gives the appearance that the subject is actually open for discussion. It may work better to just say, it's working well for us, and change the subject.

The hair thing... thinking back to my pregnancy books, I remember reading that after birth, a mother will lose the hair that her body didn't lose during pregnancy. For some reason you don't "shed" like usual while pregnant, so after the baby is born you lose a lot... but I wonder if breastfeeding delays the shedding even longer and once baby is getting more food, mom finally loses that extra hair? Anyway, my hair is thick and almost reaches my butt. And my risk of breast cancer is lowered. So there.
    Last edited by awnja; March 24th, 2007 at 11:41 AM.

I BFeed but I lost hair from 3 months to about 5 months it is just starting to get back to normal. I know Moms who FF and they loose their hair too. Something to do with hormones during pregnancy.

Oh and I plan to BFeed past 1 year as well. 2 years is my current goal. We will see what happens when the time comes. Never know I just might go longer.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

My best advice is to do what you think is right. Truly, who cares what the naysayers think anyway? They only make the negative comments because they are uneducated on the topic. Sometimes don't ask don't tell works well.....I plan on nursing for some time to come, my LO is just over a year old now...I know just the individuals I would not share that with...sister-in-law for example. I could just hear her now...but I do not care what she thinks, so there you have it.

Kudos to your Mommy...you are making a great choice and are doing right by your baby. That's what is important....
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I don't know where the official research is, but at a recent LLL meeting with discussed research that showed that if a mom breastfeeds for a total of 7 years (adding up however many kids she has) your risk of breast cancer is almost zero, even if you have a history in your family.

Here's a kellymom link about extending bfing and the benefits:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Here's a link about dealing with criticism (of bfing in general, not just extended):
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/criticism.html

I was recently reading about a study that showed the longer you bf, the higher your kid's IQ. In the study, they controlled for 8 other factors and it was very compelling to me. I can't remember where but I'll try to find it and post...

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

You have to do what's right for you and your baby and your relationship. Then try to share only with supportive people.

For what it's worth, one thing I think I've learned as a parent is not to plan too far in advance becuase it's so hard to predict what a child needs. Maybe it would be easier if you took the nursing one step at a time instead of such a specific goal and just see what you and your LO need as time goes on?

Quote Originally Posted by fergie830 View Post

I was recently reading about a study that showed the longer you bf, the higher your kid's IQ. In the study, they controlled for 8 other factors and it was very compelling to me. I can't remember where but I'll try to find it and post...
    I know this one! It can be found in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I used that quote in a Series meeting two months ago.

To the OP:
    You are getting some great suggestions and experiences here. Congratulations on reaching your goal of one year and best wishes on the next stage of your nursing relationship with your little one!

--Eve
    LLL Leader