Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush Question

Default Thrush Question

I've been doing a lot of reading about women complaining of sharp breast pain, sore, itchy nipples, and painful let down. I have all of those things, but never thought twice about them. I always thought that thrush would present itself in my daughter's mouth before I would have any symptoms. However, now I'm starting to worry. My LO has been especially fussy the past week, and everytime I feed or pump, I get sharp, shooting pains deep in my breast. I am also very itchy when feeding. I thought it was my LO's nails needing to be trimmed, brushing agianst my skin. But now I'm wondering if I need to get myself checked out for a yeast infection. Any help?

Default Re: Thrush Question

Here is everything you could ever want to know about thrush.

Thank you for the link. Very informative. So I need to speak with my OB for me, and my ped for my LO? Will we each get our own medication if we are given any at all, or will the ones I take transfer to her? (I hope that wasn't a stupid question.)

Sorry to hear that you might have thrush. My LO and I have been through it. He got a prescription from his pediatrician for nystatin, which is an oral med that you rub in their mouths (I used a q-tip) and my OB prescribed diflucan for me, which I took for 5 days. Diflucan is pricey, but worth it. My insurance wouldn't cover without prior approval, so I paid out of pocket and it was almost $5.00 pill. My OB also suggested that I rub the nystatin on my nipples after each feeding, which I did.

It took almost 2 weeks for it to go away. LO had a diaper rash with an open sore, but no white patches in his mouth. I had incredible pain with one nipple that also happens to be cracked...I am sure that the yeast love hanging out in that spot. I also had vaginal itching.

Change breast pads after each feeding. Wash bras in HOT water.

I also ate yogurt and drank milk with acedophilus added. Try to cut back on the sweets. This was and continues to be hard for me.

HTH- take care.

at one point i was getting pinching pains in my breasts and thought she had white in her mouth....*turns out the insides of her cheeks and her tongue were just a lighter shade than i imagined*...and she was latching wrong...this is wayy wayy back when DD was only a few weeks old. i'd go to the dr. and check it out though. better safe than sorry.

Do they actually culture my breast milk?

I have never heard of that.