Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mixing galactogogues

Default mixing galactogogues

Does anybody know about mixing galactogogues?

I've been taking domperidone for a couple weeks and haven't seen too much of an increase. I'd like to also try blessed thistle at the same time but I don't know if there is an interaction problem.

Plus I usually drink a Mothers Milk tea or two every day.

Is this mixing bad?

TIA

Default Re: mixing galactogogues

Hi Ebbie,

Some moms do mix galactogogues. I forget, do you have an IBCLC you can contact? Every woman's body is different, and the possible combinations of galactogogues are endless, so it is hard to say how it would affect you personally. Your best bet would be to contact a local IBCLC and discuss your situation with her. She might be able to suggest combinations that would be appropriate for you. If there is not an IBCLC you trust in your immediate area, maybe there is someone in another nearby town?

HTH,

Tiana

My LC says she cannot give me any advice or information regarding domperidone. I don't know if its the hospital's policy or what since its not FDA approved.

If I can't get any info here, my local LLL leader is my last resort.

Are you getting your dom from a compounding pharmacy? Maybe you could ask the pharmacist for information on possible drug interactions.

Tiana

Hi Again,

I found a list of resource materials you might be able to use. They are mostly about herbals, but perhaps you could use them to look up the blessed thistle and mothers milk tea.

I can't get the individual lines to hotlink for me for some reason, so here is a direct link to the source page: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/relactation.html

HTH,

Tiana

I ordered the domperidone from New Zealand so I didn't see a pharmacist or doctor.

Its amazing how little info there is and even conflicting info on herbs etc...

I quickly looked into some of the links off the one you sent and noticed:
    -One website said to use "milk thistle" not blessed thistle.
    -Another had capsules/day dosage but didn't list the capsule wieght.
    -Another said to use a tincture which is kind of antiquated.
    -One said up to four pills 3X a day while a second site said high dosages cause vomiting!

Why isn't there any research done on this? Its our health and I feel like I'm getting a closet abortion!!

Thanks though Tiana. I'll continue to read links to find some answers.....

I have another resource for you. It is a book that you may be able to obtain from your local LLL group library called THE NURSING MOTHER'S HERBAL by Sheila Humphrey. She discusses dosages in different forms (capsules, tinctures, etc.), safety, allergy concerns, contraindications, etc. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for there.

Tiana