Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Don't understand pumping...

Question Don't understand pumping...

I have a few questions about pumping. First, a little background information on us:
    My dd is 5 months old and is exclusively breastfed. She has reflux/gas/colic and is on Zantac for these issues.
    I single side feed. I was told that I should then try and pump following a feed on the side that she just ate on. I am getting nothing - a few drops here and there, but after ten minutes of pumping I have nothing to show for it. I used to pump quite a bit and would get 2-4 ounces after she fed. I stopped pumping for various reasons and now want to get a supply going again so that my husband can bottle feed her from time to time.
    So, my questions are:
    Say she feeds on the left side at 7 a.m., should I then pump the right side at 7 a.m.? If I do this, will there be enough there for her to eat at her next feed when she is due to feed on the right side?
    I guess my question really is, how do you pump when you single side feed? Logistically it doesn't make any sense to me...
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Don't understand pumping...

I am certainly no expert, so take this for what its worth--its just from my minimal experience over the last 4 months of BF. I had the same problem with colic and reflux and oversupply at first, so it was recommened that I single-side feed as well (there is another term for that). I started out always pumping the other side while she was eating (say she was eating on the L, I would pump the R, and vice versa). As my milk supply evened out and I got a freezer supply built up, I stopped doing that. I pump twice at work and I have noticed a slight decrease in my milk supply during those pumping sessions so I want to increase supply and use a couple other sessions to increase the milk I have on hand. I will pump while she is eating once in the morning (first morning feeding) and once at night (right before bed). I have never had a problem not having enough milk for her at the feedings following those sessions. I think my body just knows to produce more. Sometimes after that I have to feed her on both sides to give her enough, but there is always enought between both breasts, to get her full. If I have confused you more, I apologize--let me know!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I think that you should have enough milk for the next feeding if you pump while you are nursing. The problem that you might run into since you have oversupply issues is that your milk may not flow as freely as it would had you not pumped and your baby may have to work a little harder to get the milk. Baby might get frustrated which might lead you to think that you don't have any milk, but rest assured that it is in there! I nursed my first daughter until she was 15 months, pumping while I was at work and noticed the same thing when I first started pumping. We were on a road trip and I had to pump so that she could eat while we were on the road. She was fussy at the breast after I pumped and I felt like I was depriving her of milk! I was so upset I almost gave her formula, until my husband calmed me down and told me that she might just have to work harder. It all worked out, and it will work for you too!!

You'll have enough. Breasts aren't vessels that need to be "refilled". You're producing milk as you're removing it! And the more you remove, the more that will be replaced.