Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I keep pumping??

Default Should I keep pumping??

My daughter was underfed a couple months ago and so I started pumping after each nursing to increase supply. Well she has shown SIGNIFICANT improvement in both demeanor and weight gain. But now I'm scared to stop pumping to encourage my body to make enough milk. When I started pumping I also increased frequency of nursings and wake her up at night. I did so many changes I'm not sure what helped her the most so now I'm scared to stop any of it.

Just looking for some opinions.

Default Re: Should I keep pumping??

How old is your baby? Did you feel she was underfed due to slow weight gain? I think I would slowly stop the pumpings and move towards nursing on demand. If you need to you can always start pumping again and your body WILL respond. Just make sure you are offering your baby to nurse as often as she wants... no schedules!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

She's 5.5 months. It was definitely underfeeding problem b/c she had only gained 10 oz. in a 2 month period & was crying all the time. Part of the problem is that she'll sleep 7-8 hours at night w/o eating. So I set my alarm in the middle of the night.

That's a good idea though...I hadn't though of gradually decreasing. I'm just SO tired of pumping 4-5x a day.

That's great that things are getting better. We're dealing w/ that now, except Ilana never cried, she was happy as could be to be starving. I'm pumping like a mad woman to try and increase my supply and I'm not seeing much results and it's very depressing b/c I so wanted her to be the baby that bfing worked best for (I've had nothing but problems w/ my 3 it seems). What kinds of things did you do to help increase supply? Does she nurse often? Ilana goes back and forth between liking to nurse and not liking to nurse, it's very hard and we're using about 8ozs of formula a day right now and 6ozs of bm.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)