Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: This is gonna seem soo weird....

Default This is gonna seem soo weird....

I have an 18 month old and I never breastfeed. And for some reason I want to know? I know its late but is that normal. I know next time I have a baby i definitly will bc I regret it soo much but am I the only one who feels this way. And is it possible?? Even if it was only like at night or something since i cosleep and also i babywear...

Default Re: This is gonna seem soo weird....

Hi there, I would love to try to help you but I not really understanding exactly what your question is?

Hi lindsayncadence,

Here's an link to some resources about relactation.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBrelactation.html

And you might be interested in these articles, too (even if your baby isn't adopted). The last article in particular talks about the benefits of attempting to breastfeed an older baby. Do you have some local support you could call on? An LLL Group? An IBCLC?

Can I Breastfeed My Adopted Baby?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/adopt.html

Adoptive Breastfeeding
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBadoptive.html

Adoptive Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov04p99.html

HTH,
    Mary
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMaryP; March 30th, 2006 at 02:55 PM.

The only LLL from my area I talked to was about babywearing and she didnt know what it was and gave me an attitude. I honestly feel like Im crazy for even wanting to attempt to BF my daughter at her age ....maybe I should just wait till I have another child? I dont have the money to buy an expensive pump or anything are anyone on here or know anyone willing to get rid of theirs (if they are done)........IDK if i should attempt it or not or what my daughter would think even....would she be like why is my mom making me touch her breasts??? it would be weird idk I would like to but idk how she would react...please dont think Im a freak I am really not I just didnt know it was possible and it interests me...

You are so NOT a freak, and believe me.... you are not alone! I was unsuccessful in my attempts to bf my son when he was born. Come to find out, I have flat nipples and this makes latching on a bit more difficult (though not impossible from what I am told) I truly regret not trying harder. Lately I have been thinking about him bf'ing. And wishing somehow that he could. Right now I am 15 weeks pregnant and I know in my heart that I am going to give it my all this time around. But I still feel sad that my son never got to bf. So I think I was thinking along the same lines as you. I have been reading a lot about relactation and from what I hear, it does take a little while to accomplish, but sounds like it can be done. (I don't know about for me personally since I am pregnant...) But you definitely can! If you are looking to get a pump, have you tried ebay?? There are many there that are cheaper than if purchased in a store.

I can't offer advice on the whole process, as I don't know enough to tell you. I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone. I wish you lots of luck, and please don't feel like you are alone or that she is too old. There are many women who are bf'ing for extended lengths of time. (and my hats off to them, I really admire them) so it wouldn't be strange or unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayncadence
    I have an 18 month old and I never breastfeed. And for some reason I want to know? I know its late but is that normal. I know next time I have a baby i definitly will bc I regret it soo much but am I the only one who feels this way. And is it possible?? Even if it was only like at night or something since i cosleep and also i babywear...
    Hi lindsayncadence,
    You sound so sad about not having nursed your little one
    No, you are not alone - other mothers have expressed the same regret.

Please remember that you did the very best you could at the time and you are a GOOD mother. We all have regrets about some of the things we did (or didn't do) with our first babies, and so we do them differently the next time around. It is a learning process, isn't it?

Is it the actual milk that you want your toddler to get, or is it the nursing experience? I ask this because there is no guarentee that your toddler would accept your breast. This is the age when many toddlers are at least beginning to wean from the breast and go on to other things.

It IS possible to relactate, but it is a long process that would require a lot of your time and energy, involving renting a hospital grade pump and pumping AT LEAST every three hours, night and day. Only you will know if this is something you are prepared to do.

If it is the closeness of nursing that you crave - and this is normal! - then you are at least getting some of that skin-to-skin by co-sleeping and practicing attachment parenting.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and give you back your newborn to start again, but alas, it just doesn't work that way. What do you think would work for you?

warmly,
    LLLnormaR