Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: relactation question???

Default relactation question???

Can you relactate while pregnant? I know my body is preparing for another baby, but I was wondering if it was safe or even possible to do while pregnant? I pumped for my son for the first several months b'c he could never latch on correctly. I now feel very sad that he never bf from me.
    I intend to do everything I can to be successful this next time around, but part of me really wants for my son to have that too. kwim? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Default Re: relactation question???

Quote Originally Posted by married2theAF
    Can you relactate while pregnant? I know my body is preparing for another baby, but I was wondering if it was safe or even possible to do while pregnant? I pumped for my son for the first several months b'c he could never latch on correctly. I now feel very sad that he never bf from me.
    I intend to do everything I can to be successful this next time around, but part of me really wants for my son to have that too. kwim? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
    When you become pregnant you start to produce colostrum, the first milk the new baby will get after birth.

If you were still nursing when you became pregnant, your milk would CHANGE to colostrum. Most pregnant nursing mothers find that their supply goes down during pregnancy.

I have never heard of anyone trying to relactate WHILE they were pregnant. If you started to pump now, you would not get mature milk, only the colostrum, and in very small amounts.

Would you consider waiting until your new baby was born so that you could give your older child some of that milk? It would be MUCH easier to wait until your milk was established and then pump off a little extra.

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

Default Re: relactation question???

I'd never heard of it either. I suppose that 5 months isn't that long to wait. (I'm due in Sept) Maybe I'm just anxious. I'm eager to try again. And I don't know how my son will respond to seeing me bf another baby. I guess time will tell!