Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I wake up baby to feed while she sleeps?

Default Should I wake up baby to feed while she sleeps?

Hello everyone!
    I have a 4 week old baby and I have a question about breastfeeding. The baby sleeps sometimes over 3 hours. I want to know if I should wake up her up to feed her. She looks so peaceful while she is sleeping, but I know how important it is for her to be hydrated etc. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Should I wake up baby to feed while she sleeps?

If she is gaining sufficiently and has good diaper output, I'd let your little one sleep. If you were concerned about weight gain, then I'd say something different.

At one month, you should be able to just feed on her cue.

Lisa

If she is gaining sufficiently and has good diaper output, I'd let your little one sleep. At one month, you should be able to just feed on her cue.
    I agree, so long as she is waking herself to feed, has good output and weight gain and is alert when awake...let sleeping baby lie.

Hi there!
    This is a common question of new mothers The short answer is: it depends. If your baby meets these criteria:

1. Going to the breast AT LEAST 8-12 times per 24 hours
    2. Having 5-6 wet disposable diapers (6-8 cloth) per 24 hours
    3. Having AT LEAST 2-3 dirty diapers (size of a US quarter or larger) per 24 hours

Then you can probably just let her sleep. Many newborns are very sleepy and sleep constantly except for when they eat. As long as they are doing the three things above, they're getting enough to eat.
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/enough.html

However, if your baby is not doing those three things, then get back to me and we'll talk further

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My pediatrician said that once they regain their birth weight you can let them sleep, especially at night. And the info in prior post is also right-on as well.

against the recommendation of my pediatrician, i did not wake up Olivia for feedings. i tried it once and she was so irritated and cranky that i did not do it again. as long as the baby is healthy and growing well, i do not believe in waking up a sleeping baby for anything. i feel that their bodies are in total survival mode, and if they are sleeping...then that is what thier body needs. i feel that when thier body needs food, that their natural instincts to cry out, or use other signals to initiate being fed take over, to ensure that they are getting what they need.

I agree with previous postings..

My pediac always told me
    " baby knows to demand" do not worry

I was initialy had to wake him every 3.5 hrs ....to avoid engorgement..
    after first 2 weeks he used to wake me every 2 hrs ..so do not worry abt waking her now)

Having 5-6 wet disposable diapers (6-8 cloth) per 24 hours is best and good indication of LO getting enof milk
    also ..my pediac always used to tell me " LO can dirty diapers 6 times a day or once in 6 days also...there is no need to worry as long as LO is only on BF"
    so do not worry at all..

if at all u are facing engorgement issues/ pl pump do not disturb the sleeping LO ..

keep us posted
    take care