Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to nurse laying down?

Default How to nurse laying down?

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to nurse laying down? I can't seem to get it just right, and having to get up during the night is really taking its toll on me! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How to nurse laying down?

I had the exact same problem with my son. It is gets so much easier the older he is. He is almost 3 months old and I think we have it down pretty good. I do it the same way Carolin explains. It is still kind of tough sometimes because neither of us can see very well in the dark so I have to try to guide him when I can't see either. But don't give up, I guarantee you it will get easier!

My story is the same. I couldnt nurse my son laying down till about 3 months, I lay his head in the crook of my arm. I suggest a pillow or two behind you cause I always end up leaning that way. When its time to switch sides, I roll over with him on my chest( sometimes he stays latched on) lol. We must be a sight. Good luck it really helps to get more sleep. My ds is now 13 months. He latches on by himself often while im still sleeping, hes a pro

As for it being dark, I used to leave a flaslight on the bed or sidetable and turn it on to get settled.
    I remember having diapers, wipes and a flashlight so I didn't have to get up unless I needed to pee.
    LOL
    Turn on the flashlight, change the diaper, get settled and latched on and turn the light off. Of course sometimes I would fall asleep and the batteries would go dead.

With a pail by the bed to toss the diaper in, we were all set!

Smile Re: How to nurse laying down?

My daughter eventually learned to latch on while I was sleeping as well. I found it was a great way to keep my milk supply up as I had to be gone from her several times a month for over 24 hours. My son is now 2 months and we are finally getting the hang of things. I love snuggling up with him!

We used one of those tap lights for night time diaper changes and positionings...you can fall asleep and the timer turns the light out!

Nightime is probably my favorite nursing time...you never forget the feeling of your baby all nestled in close...

Red face Re: How to nurse laying down?

I love nursing while laying down. I even nurse my 7 month old while laying down NOT at night! I work during the day (teaching) so I nurse her before work, after work (I used to pump during the day...but I eliminated it last month), before she goes to sleep and sometimes once during the night yet. I usually lay down for every feeding! She loves it and it's so comfortable. It was difficult at first, but I agree with everyone else....as the baby gets older, it gets easier. Keep trying....you'll find a position comfortable for you!

Just wanted to add that it is a lot easier as they baby gets older, I could not do this until ds was several months old!

Thanks everyone! We worked on it last night and she seemed to do pretty good, she's a pretty good little latcher, so that does help!

Initially, I found it hard to get comfortable, but now I do this: I lie down on my side with baby's head parallel to my breast, my lower arm curves round his head. Then - this is the crucial bit - I put my pillow between my head and my shoulder. Somehow, putting it under the shoulder just does not work, but this way is really comfy.

I had to watch someone do it and was like OOOOOOOO I get it!

I lay dd on her tummy and turn her head to me and then latch her onto the breast that is against the bed. I have to keep the skin pressed in by her nose so she can breathe..lol.. but it works.

Another thing I tried when she was new was to put her head up on a pillow, with her on her back, and then with me on my side facing her, I would lean the breast NOT on the bed (the higher one) over for her and she'd latch on. This takes a little more moving around, but works.