Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Keflex (Cephalexin)

Default Keflex (Cephalexin)

My DD and I share the same physician as he is a family practice Dr. at the base clinic that we go to . . . . .

He prescribed Keflex to me for a nasty skin infection I have . . . . . I assumed it was safe because he knows I am breastfeeding, but just out of curiousity I did a little search online and saw that "It passes into breastmilk and may affect your newborn so your Dr. may have you discontinue nursing while taking this medicine"

I am curious if anyone has had any experience while nursing and taking this drug.

Thanks!

Lisa

Default Re: Keflex (Cephalexin)

Sorry, I don't know about nursing and taking it, but I do know that it is one of the strongest cephalosporins on the market right now so I would be cautious and make sure you talk with your doc just to be on the safe side.

Oh, just read another post below about mastisis and bleeding and she is taking Keflex to clear it up and still breastfeeding, so I would ask her about it too.

LLL Leaders are not qualified to give medical advice, but we can provide access to published information.

Keflex is listed as L1 in Thomas Hale's book, Medications and Mothers' Milk.
    L1 is his "Lactation Risk Category". The scale goes from L1 to L5.

L1 SAFEST:
    Drug which has been taken by a large number of breastfeeding mothers without any observed increase in adverse effects in the infant. Controlled studies in breastfeeding women fail to demonstrate a risk to the infant and the possibility of harm to the breastfeeding infant is remote; or the product is not orally bioavailable in an infant.

Under pediatric concerns he lists: "None reported. Observe for diarrhea."

Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Mary

I don't know about Nursing but in the first few weeks of my pregnancy I was perscribed Cephalexin for a bad urinary tract infection. I did tons of research before taking it and although it obviously enters into the bloodstream (the baby and into breastmilk) it is in the low-risk category. My Dr. assured me it was safe as well.

I don't have specific experience w/ Keflex and nursing (but I did take it once several years ago and got queasy, so take it with food!), but I was recently talking to my cousin who is a LC here... and she said there are actually very FEW medicines that are known to be harmful for a nursing baby - she named a few of them - but for the most part the molecules are broken down so much by your liver before the breast milk is made, or sucha tiny amount enters your breast milk, that the effect on your baby is negligible. I was feeling bad because I was taking strong pain killers, and my baby was sleeping a bit longer than usual, but that may have just been a coincidence you know? So if you need it, take it! Better to have a healthy mom I say!