Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and pumping for work

Default Re: overactive letdown - help!

my problem is that I am fulltime back at work, and need to have bottles for her while I'm gone. What do I do now??? I have OALD and an over supply issue. I do the reclining position and keep her upright if I can to nurse, which is tricky. I could use some advice. I am SO frustrated at the breastfeeding situation but I don't want to stop after going through everything at the beginning. I also love the bonding, especially now since I'm not home all the time. But she seems to be scared of the breast and starts to arch her back and cry just getting into position. I'm so depressed about it. My husband isn't much help since he says to just pump exclusively so she'll be happier and get less air at each feeding. I guess he just doesn't understand. No one seems to around me. My family always questions my decision on BF and says it's so much easier to use formula. I just know BF is best. Why wouldn't I?? I guess right now I feel alone in my efforts and upset/frustrated/depressed that my baby doesn't even want to nurse from me and that she's more content with an artificial version. It breaks my heart everytime she fusses, or to think of not BFing anymore. I could really use some encouragement or some advice to help out this situation of mine. OH, and to top it all off, the Air Force is thinking of deploying me within the next 4 months, for 4 months. I'll be home just in time for her 1st Birthday, I hope...
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading...

Default Re: OALD and pumping for work

Created a new thread for you so that you get more responses...

Tiana

p.s. for the record, I know of at least one military mama who was able to get a hardship exemption because she had a young nursing baby...it couldn't hurt to ask.

Hi Again,

I'm sorry no one who has btdt shared their experiences with you yet.. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

As a general rule, an oversupplied mom who has to return to work should pump enough to meet baby's needs and no more. Some moms find that they are able to pump enough using just one side per pumping. If this works for you, it may help to keep your supply "in check".

I'm sorry you are feeling so alone and unsupported. Do you have a LLL group in your area? It might help to be able to meet some other breastfeeding mothers IRL. Check out this link to find a leader and group near you: http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html .

Hang In There,

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    As a general rule, an oversupplied mom who has to return to work should pump enough to meet baby's needs and no more. Some moms find that they are able to pump enough using just one side per pumping. If this works for you, it may help to keep your supply "in check".
    When I started pumping - I was following the recommendation of pumping both breasts at the same time at the same frequency that baby would have been nursing. For me, this ended up making my oversupply worse.

It was a nervous couple of weeks, but I decided to do some experimenting to see what pumping pattern made the most sense for me and my breasts and my baby's needs. For awhile I was pumping one side at a time at the same frequency as baby would have been nursing (which for us would have been 3 times). Then I changed to pumping both breasts at a time 2 times while I am at work. For us, this seems to be working OK to keep my supply up, not have oversupply problems, and be able to pump enough milk to meet my baby's needs for the next day at day care.

I do keep modifying my pumping routine based on what is going on. A couple times I've needed to build up more supply (baby growth spurts and also I had a dip in supply after being sick) so for several days I'll go to double pumping 3 times while at work until my supply is back where it needs to be. For me it works better to try and listen to my body & baby rather than follow a specific pumping schedule according to a book.

To help with your oversupply - have you tried block feeding (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html)? You can also "block pump" when you're away from your LO.

And lots of great OALD and oversupply resources here:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=106

Hope this helps!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I've been there too, pumping actually helped me, but I couldn't do the pumping like baby would nurse thing either. I pump twice in an 8 hr work day. The first pumping is about 3hr after my twins nursed last, and at that one I usually pump enough for 2 feedings, it helps get all the extra milk out. Then I pump again 4hrs later, and leave about 4hrs to resupply before they eat again after daycare. So they eat at 6:30am (breast), 9:30am, 12:30pm, 3:30pm, 6:30pm (breast) and I pump at 10am and 2pm. Sometimes I still have to let the excess off before their morning feeding, but the pumping helps control the OALD the rest of the time. Hope this helps!

How is it going now? I have the same problems with being so depressed and frustrated bc my baby is never happy while I'm nursing him, but I don't want to give up either. He's 3 weeks old...and it's been a battle for almost the whole time. My husband is supportive, but he's the only one.

I go back to work tomorrow but am leaving LO with the MIL. We've only given her a bottle twice before and that was 3 weeks ago and last week. Then since it was the first time, I had no idea how much to put in the bottle so I put 4 ounces, and she ate the whole thing and cried and wanted more. The second time i again put 4 but she only took about 3.5. How do I know how much to leave for MIL for tomorrow so she doesn't have too little or too much?

How old is your lo? My LC said to give about 4oz at 6wks and 5oz at 12wks. I always put in the most I think they'll eat, and provide an extra bottle in case they want more for daycare to allow for growth spurts etc. Since it's your MIL, could you just send milk in a pitcher or a larger bottle with a cap for her to dispense in the bottle, that way if your lo wants more she can just give her another ounce or two?

My LO is 6 weeks old tomorrow. She doesn't seem to be real consistant neither. Sometimes she'll BF for 10 minutes, other times 20, other times only 5. I'm worried though that she's (MIL) going to associate her being fussy as being hungry. My LO is very grumpy and the doctor called her Colic. She constantly wants to be held, etc, so I'm afraid my MIL will think she's hungry before she really is. I only have about 12 ounces pumped right now that I'm able to send along for the 8-9 hours I'll be away. I'm having a hard time pumping and BFing without getting engorged and am getting really frustrated!

So she should eat about 3 times with your MIL, and about 4oz each time, so you should have enough. It's VERY normal for your lo not to eat the same at each feeding, she knows what she's doing, as long as she's gaining well you have no reason to worry. My LC said it's fine to use the same bottle twice, so if she doesn't finish the first bottle you could have your MIL give her the rest from that one at the next feeding, then move on to the next one. That way if she wants 3oz one feeding and 5oz the next two bottles will still cover it. And it's ok to supplement with a little formula for the first week or so, it will take you that long to adjust to pumping and reliably get enough milk. Are there specific hunger cues you can tell your MIL about so she can distinguish between hunger and general fussiness? For instance, mine still rooted at 6wks, and they bob their heads against my chest if I'm holding them when they're truly hungry. You'll have to tweak pumping schedule for a while before you figure out what will work for you. For me, pumping twice in a 9hr period worked well and generally kept me from being engorged, provided I never pumped after nursing, just for a few minutes before if I was too full for my los to latch (usually for the morning feeding).