Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help Increasing Milk Supply While Pumping

Default Need Help Increasing Milk Supply While Pumping

SON WAS PREEMIE- BORN 32WKS. 6DAYS. ON JAN21/07. HE IS NOW 41 WEEKS.

HE IS STILL NOT LATCHING SUCCESSFULLY. HE IS A TONGUE THRUSTER. SO HE CAN NOT GET BREAST BACK ENOUGH IN HIS MOUTH. TRIED NIPPLE SHIELD W/ LACT. CONSULT BUT SHE SAID IT REALLY DID NOT SEEM TO HELP. I HEARD THAT CAN DECREASE SUPPLY. SO I CONTINUE TO TRY THE GOOD OLD FASHION WAY.

I AM PUMPING 8-10 TIMES A DAY. TAKING FENUGREEK 500MG, 3X A DAY. AND B-6 1X a day. ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO TO INCREASE MILK SUPPLY.

HE IS GOING TO NEED MORE THEN I CAN GIVE SOON, AND I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO SUPPLEMENT W/ FORMULA.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Need Help Increasing Milk Supply While Pumping

Tanya,

Have you looked at this list of LLLI resources for breastfeeding a premature baby?: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/premresources.html

Have you visited our premie message board?

Breastfeeding a premie can be hard work, especially when baby won't latch well in the beginning. Is your pump a hospital grade pump? You might try increasing to 12 pumpings per day if you can manage it, since that is closer to how often a baby this tiny would need to nurse.

It would be a good idea to give your baby lots of skin to skin contact. This encourages baby to continue to try to nurse, as well as stimulates the hormones that increase your milk production. Hold baby dressed only in a diaper against your bare chest (an open button down shirt works well for this), and cover both of you in a warm, soft blanket. Do this as long as you can for as often as you can. This is called "Kangaroo Care" and is very good for baby, even if it does not lead to breastfeeding on any particular ocassion. Premature babies who receive Kangaroo Care are more likely to breastfeed eventually than premies who don't.

HTH. Hang in there! You really are doing a great job, mama. Kudos to you for keeping up the effort.

(((HUGS))),

Tiana
    Last edited by LLLTiana; March 23rd, 2007 at 06:33 AM. Reason: fix typo

Red face Re: Need Help Increasing Milk Supply While Pumping

I had the exact same problem with my daughter born three weeks preterm, she refused to latch on and when she did her tongue would push my nipple right out of her mouth. The lactation consultant gave me a hard plastic nipple sheild that clamped my nipple which did nothing at all to help. When I left the hospital I bought a soft silicone sheild and a nursing pillow and it seemed that the pillow holding her in a comfortable position and the silicone sheild worked wonders because at one week old I was able to fed her for the first time with out a syringe. I also was worried about my milk supply decreasing so I pumped for about 15 min after each feeding. I was able to increase my milk supply as well as get a good back up supply in the freezer. Hope it helped.