Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I need help...long...

Default I think I need help...long...

I hope I am putting this in the correct spot.
    My ds is five weeks old, he was born five weeks early and spent six days in the NICU. Long story short he was given formula until I could pump for him. I was at a different hospital and away from him for about 24 hours. They then continued to give him formula. After he was discharged his doctor here asked me to give him formula every other feeding. I was not successful in BF my dd who is five and I have been trying so hard to do so this time. I am not sure if we have a latch problem or not. I have a painful letdown and some nipple pain in between feedings. Usually it only hurts during feeding for the first 30 seconds or so. I have called and tried to get help but the only place that was willing to help me charges $70 for the consultation and I just went back to work so I cannot afford this.

I have been trying to pump as well so that I can maintain and/or increase my supply but my pump broke so now I have a hospital grade but I am having trouble with that as well. I really do not want to give up but I am getting frustrated.
    Thanks for reading and I apologize for it being so long.

Lightbulb Re: I think I need help...long...

wow!! sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. have you tried a local lll? i also think that most hospitals have lc on staff that are more than willing to help. hth!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Default Re: I think I need help...long...

Eating oatmeal will help increase your supply. What kind of bottles/nipples are you using to feed your baby? You want to use the kind that help them latch to the bottle the same way they would latch to your breast so they don't get confused. We use the Playtex Nurser system and my son can switch back and forth with no problems. We had to supplement too in the begining so I know you can supplement and succesfully BF. DO NOT use the nipples the hospital give you they have a really fast flow and the baby doesn't have to work as hard to get milk so they tend to get "lazy."

Did you call a LLL consultant? I haven't used one but I don't think they charge to come out and help you. Do you have any friends who BF that could come and help you?

I know you're frustrated and I'm sure you'll get more replys that will be more helpful. Just don't give up you CAN do this!!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

What trouble are you having with the hospital pump? While I don't have first-hand experience, I know many moms who've needed to bottle feed preemies for quite a while before nursing works for them. It's important to try nursing each time and if it doesn't happen, go to the bottle, preferably filled with breastmilk. LLL leaders are volunteers (no cost) and might be able to help a lot over the phone or they could meet up with you in person. Find one here:
    http://lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

Some pain is normal but you should have someone look at your latch to make sure it's too.

Here's some LLL info on nursing preemies:
    http://lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpremature.html

Here's info on latch:
    http://lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html

I know it seems hard but if you can keep going and get some help it can be so awesome for you down the road! Good luck!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I do have some of the Playtex Nursers. The hospital gave us Dr. Brown bottles.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I would like to have someone check to see if the latch is right.

As far as the pump, I got it yesterday and pumped fine, today I just couldn't get the shields or whatever they are called on right. It therefore doesn't suck properly. I was tired and frustrated though so maybe that was part of the problem.
    Thanks again!

Call your insurance provider and ask if a consultation with a lactation consultant is covered by your insurance. Most of the time it will be, especially if it is ordered by a physician. Get your pediatrician to help you with this. They should be able to get you in with someone who can help.

Failing that- definately call your local LLL leader.

Just wanted to add that a painful letdown is something that some moms just have to deal with, but it does get better over time. It's a good sign that it only hurts at the beginning of a nursing session for a little bit. (Not that you shouldn't still get it check out.) It's really not good if it gets increasingly painful during a session. Stick with it--it's work the hard work in the beginning.

Hi there

Can you give me some information? How much formula is your baby currently taking? How many times per day is he going to the breast? You describe pain as lasting for about 30 seconds into the feeding, and sometimes in between. What kind of pain are you having?

We'll do our best to help you here, but I strongly second the recommendation to see a LLL Leader (see the link in my signature to find one). Even if you need to see the LC at $70/hr, remember that you will spend much more than that formula feeding your baby. Some mothers like to look at it as an investment.

Hang in there!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I am doing much better with the new pump.
    I would say that Nicky has about 8-12 ounces of formula per day. I nurse him, oh gosh I guess I haven't been keeping track perhaps I should do that. I should be writing it down. I am having an outpatient surgery tomorrow and have been told to pump and dump but I really don't want to do that as I am just now getting my supply back to where it was. Ugh please tell me this gets better. I have been nursing him more really just for practice. I am not as sore as I was so I think perhaps the latch was indeed the problem.
    It isn't that I don't want to spend $70 on a consult it is that I haven't had a paycheck yet and literally can't. I am doing the best that I can.

Thanks to all!

Have you applied for WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) Nutrition Program? Not only can they help you with breastfeeding supplies, but they often have Lactation Consultants on staff (or on contract). Many agencies also have Peer Counselors, ladies that have breastfed and can help you. I would apply before you start working. You can look on this website to get info on the agency in your area:http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapply/default.htm