Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help- My Son Is A Tongue Thruster!!!what Can I Do To Get Him To Breast

Default Help- My Son Is A Tongue Thruster!!!what Can I Do To Get Him To Breast

My Son Aidan Was Born 32wks6dys On Jan 21/07. He Spent 3 Days In Nicu And 2 Wks. In Special Care Nursery. I Have Pumped Since He Was Born. It Is Now Mar And No Successful Latch. I Had A Lact. Consult. Come Out Monday. And I Paid $125.00 For Her To Tell Me What I Already Knew. He Can Not Latch Bc. He Pushes His Tongue Out And Often Sucks On That. He Even Does This With A Bottle. He Tries To Suck ANd Ocassionally He Will Get An Okay Latch. But Not Enough To Get A Good Amount Of Milk. I WAS TRYING 1-2 TIMES A DAY. BUT I HAVE BEEN GETTING VERY FRUSTRATED BC. HE HAS NOT GOTTEN ANY BETTER.

I Am Pumping 8-11 Times A Day. But He Is Taking 4 To 5 Ounces At A Time. Usually Every 3-4 Hrs. He Is Going To Surpass My Production Soon. I Really Do Not Want To Half To Supplement W/ Formula.

The Hospital Sent Me A Printout Of Exercise I Can Do To Possibly Help. It Came From A Laleche Handout. But It Said If Done Incorrectly It Can Make Problem Worse. I Am Concerned. I Do Not Know What To Do?

anyone have this problem and overcome it?

Will He Grow Out Of It?

Any Advice ??????

Default Re: Help- My Son Is A Tongue Thruster!!!what Can I Do To Get Him To Breast

do you have a local lll leader she might be able to help.
    your baby is still young and many don't breastfeed well untill after thier due date.
    A leader could tell you lots of ways to up your supply as baby gets bigger.

Default Re: Help- My Son Is A Tongue Thruster!!!what Can I Do To Get Him To Breast

Andrea- Thanks For The Reply.

I Had Been In Contact W/ A Leader Right After I Delivered. She Gave Me The Number Of That Lact. Consult. So Now Since The Lact. Consult Was Really No Help. She Suggested An Occupational Therapist To Help Him Open His Mouth Wider And Keep His Mouth Down. Since He Has Been Gaining Weight Fine. My Insurance Is Not Going To Cover That. And We Do Not Have That Kind Of Money.

ahh.. maybe call her back and just ask her about pumping more for baby..
    Some leaders don't have any experience with premie babies.
    are you giving bottles?
    Some moms have luck with the sns, did the lc tell you about that?
    or other alternitive feeding mythods. Bottle feeding is diffent then breastfeeding for baby.
    heres a good web site

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/preemie/index.html

heres a realy good link with some ideas that might help
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Andrea- Yes I Am Bottlefeeding The Breastmilk W/ Avent Bottles. Bc. Originally The Lact. Consult Told Me That Was The Closest To A Natural Nipple And Would Cause Him To Open His Mouth Wider. The Sns System She Said Would Not Work Bc. That Is For Women Who Have Low Supply, And Infant Can Latch. So It Allows Infant To Continue To Be Rewarded For Sucking. It Allow Them To Get Milk Faster. My Son Does Not Latch, And My Supply Is Average. The Nipple Shield Did Not Work Bc. He Still Did Not Get It Back Far Enough. The Bottle Works Bc. I Can Manuever It When He Does Open Wide. When He Is At The Breast I Can Not Move My Breast To Accomodate. The Other Thing Is That His Arms Have To Be Free Or He Gets Really Mad. So His Little Hands Become An Issue. I Have Tried To Swaddle Them In, But He Hates That.

I Will Try To Contact Another Leader Of Laleche. Maybe They Can Offer Me Something Else. Or Maybe They Know Someone Who Has Had Similar Issues.

Thank You For Replying. Any Other Advice ?

heres a good link
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...e/babyget.html

and this one:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

heres something form that link that might be helpfull
    Some babies will become more resistant the more you press the issue of nursing. If you've been working hard to get baby to latch and baby is resisting nursing, it can be helpful to step back for a bit, take the pressure off both yourself and baby, and not try to latch baby at all for a few days.

could you call the theripest and ask what kind of exersices you could do at home? What about a ciropractor who works on babies?
    heres a link on that
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/cst.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    My Son Aidan Was Born 32wks6dys On Jan 21/07. He Spent 3 Days In Nicu And 2 Wks. In Special Care Nursery. I Have Pumped Since He Was Born. It Is Now Mar And No Successful Latch. I Had A Lact. Consult. Come Out Monday. And I Paid $125.00 For Her To Tell Me What I Already Knew. He Can Not Latch Bc. He Pushes His Tongue Out And Often Sucks On That. He Even Does This With A Bottle. He Tries To Suck ANd Ocassionally He Will Get An Okay Latch. But Not Enough To Get A Good Amount Of Milk. I WAS TRYING 1-2 TIMES A DAY. BUT I HAVE BEEN GETTING VERY FRUSTRATED BC. HE HAS NOT GOTTEN ANY BETTER.
    Welcome to the boards, and congratulations on your new arrival!

When your baby latches on to the bottle, does he suck? Does he latch on far back on the bottle nipple with his mouth open wide, or do you have to sort of poke the nipple into his mouth? Once he is latched on to the bottle, does he suck well? Or does he try to push the bottle nipple out with his tongue?

Are you still attempting to help him nurse? Could you describe what happens before you get ready to nurse, when he latches on, and during the feeding?

I Am Pumping 8-11 Times A Day. But He Is Taking 4 To 5 Ounces At A Time. Usually Every 3-4 Hrs. He Is Going To Surpass My Production Soon. I Really Do Not Want To Half To Supplement W/ Formula.
    I understand.

What type of pump are you using? How long does an average pumping session last for you? On average, about how much milk are you expressing per 24 hours?

The Hospital Sent Me A Printout Of Exercise I Can Do To Possibly Help. It Came From A Laleche Handout. But It Said If Done Incorrectly It Can Make Problem Worse. I Am Concerned. I Do Not Know What To Do?
    What is the name of the handout? Can you give me a brief description of the exercises?

she Suggested An Occupational Therapist To Help Him Open His Mouth Wider And Keep His Mouth Down. Since He Has Been Gaining Weight Fine. My Insurance Is Not Going To Cover That. And We Do Not Have That Kind Of Money.

Did you tell your IBCLC about this? And did she mention any other possible issues such as high tone or low tone?

Andrea- Yes I Am Bottlefeeding The Breastmilk W/ Avent Bottles. Bc. Originally The Lact. Consult Told Me That Was The Closest To A Natural Nipple And Would Cause Him To Open His Mouth Wider. The Sns System She Said Would Not Work Bc. That Is For Women Who Have Low Supply, And Infant Can Latch. So It Allows Infant To Continue To Be Rewarded For Sucking. It Allow Them To Get Milk Faster. My Son Does Not Latch, And My Supply Is Average. The Nipple Shield Did Not Work Bc. He Still Did Not Get It Back Far Enough. The Bottle Works Bc. I Can Manuever It When He Does Open Wide. When He Is At The Breast I Can Not Move My Breast To Accomodate. The Other Thing Is That His Arms Have To Be Free Or He Gets Really Mad. So His Little Hands Become An Issue. I Have Tried To Swaddle Them In, But He Hates That.
    What happens with his hands? Does he try to push away from the breast (or bottle)? Does he try to put them in his mouth?

When you say you can maneuver the bottle, do you mean that once he opens wide, you can quickly move the bottle in order to "catch" the wide open gape?

Try using your finger to pull his tongue gently forward by lightly laying your finger on top of his tongue and withdrawing it when and not before he opens.
    worked for me to retrain my son bottle nipple confusion
    but i am not an expert so you should see OT

OKAY - THANK YOU FOR REPLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'LL TRY TO ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS- OKAY LETS SEE.

I AM RENTING FROM THE LACTATION CONSULTANT FOR $80MONTH- THE NEWEST MEDELA OUT THERE. CALLED THE "SYMPHONY". AND I ALSO, HAVE THE ADVANCED- WHIH I HAVE ONLY USED 3 TIMES SO FAR. WHN I AM OUT AND ABOUT- WHICH IS HARDLY EVER!HAHA!!!

IN 24 HRS. I GET BETWEEN 800-900 CC. I USED TO ONLY GET BETWEEN 500-640. BEFORE THE NEW PUMP.

THE HANDOUT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT: #1 WALKING BACK ON THE TONGUE- TOUCH BABIES CHEEK, WORK INWARD TOWARD LIPS, MASSAGE OUTSIDE OF BABIES GUMS, WHEN BABY OPENS USE TIP OF INDEX FINGER TO PRESS FIRMLY ON TOP OF TONGUE, COUNT TO 3 THEN MOVE BACK SLOWLY, AND REPEAT, UNTIL AS FAR BACK ON TONGUE. AS FAR AS YOU CAN GO W/OUT GAGGING BABY.
    #2 PUSHING THE TONGUE DOWN AND OUT- W/ INDEX FINGER FINGERNAIL DOWN, PRESS ON BABIES TONGUE, LEAVE FINGER IN THIS POSITION AS BABY SUCKS FOR 30 SEC, THEN SLOWLY FLPI FINGER OVER AND AS BABY SUCKS GENLTLY PUSH DOWN ON TONGUE, WHILE GRADUALLY PULLING THE FINGER OUT OF BAIES MOUTH

I HAVE DEFINITELY TAKEN A BREAK FROM TRYING TO HAVE HIM LATCH. I TRY EVERY OTHER DAY OR TWO.

HE THRUSHES W/ THE BOTTLE AT FIRST ALWAYS. USUSALLY HE WILL OPEN JUST ENOUGH, WHEN I MAKE HIM ROOT. THAT IT GIVES US ENOUGH ROOM TO GET THE BOTTLE IN. FOR MOST PART HE SUCKE WELL ON BOTTLE. OCCASSIONALLY HE WILL PUSH IT OUT W. HIS TONGUE.

MY BROTHER IN LAW IS A CHIROPRACTOR. HE GETS ADJSUTED REGUARLY. HE DOES NOT HAVE A TIGHT JAW. HE DOES NT HAVE ANY UPPER CERVICAL ISSUES. SO THAt is not it.

okay he is fussing, gotta go.

bump
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old