Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: business trip - don't want to wean

Default business trip - don't want to wean

Hi, everyone,

I have a business trip coming up and my husband is going to take our 18month old to visit his family then. I'll be away from them for about a week. I'm scared that she won't want to nurse after being away from me for that long. Generally, she has no interest in weaning yet. In fact, now that she has learned her code word, she asks to nurse much more often than we used to.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: business trip - don't want to wean

Would it be possible for your husband and baby to come with you to wherever it is that you're going instead of to visit family? That way none of you will have to be separated? Then, maybe take a short family trip to see the in-laws after your business trip?

Actually, his trip is longer than my business trip - and he planned it so that they leave the same day I do. His family is out of the country, and my trip is a 4 hour plane ride (I live in the midwest, the trip is to California). Since his family is so far, we can't just pick up and go that often, so this seemed like a good solution. Even if he didn't go, I'd be away from her for almost 5 days.

Is it possible to find a reputable care provider for the time that you'll be there or get a family member that is in the country or another trusted adult to come with you? I know it seems like a stretch, but 5 days does sound like a long time.

I started taking overnight trips away from my son when he was 14 months old. I worried every time that he would wean, but he always picked right up again without missing a beat.

A week is a long time ... but when my son was a little over 3 years old, we actually stopped nursing cold turkey for 2 weeks (long story, I was thinking I might need a mammogram). When I got the all clear, DS again picked up nursing without missing a beat, even though I had no detectable milk supply after that.

If the plans are set and you cannot or don't want to change them, then make the trip, pump as frequently as you can (try to match the number of times your son currently nurses -- but don't worry about trying to store the milk, this is just to preserve your milk supply), and keep your fingers crossed that he will still want to nurse when you are reunited. You seem fairly certain that he is not close to weaning; I doubt at 18 months he will forget in a week HOW to nurse; chances are good you two will resume nursing without much disruption. Let us know how it goes!

--Rebecca

Thanks for your comments and support. My trip is at the end of April, and I'll let you know what happens. As long as she doesn't forget *how* to nurse (which hopefully is unlikely), I'm sure she'll pick up where she left off.

Default mammograms - was Re: business trip - don't want to wean

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma
    I started taking overnight trips away from my son when he was 14 months old. I worried every time that he would wean, but he always picked right up again without missing a beat.

A week is a long time ... but when my son was a little over 3 years old, we actually stopped nursing cold turkey for 2 weeks (long story, I was thinking I might need a mammogram). When I got the all clear, DS again picked up nursing without missing a beat, even though I had no detectable milk supply after that.

--Rebecca
    I wanted to let you know that you absolutely do NOT need to wean if you need a mammogram. I actually asked that question of a radiologist who works in a breast center just this week. If you can pump or bring the baby with you and empty the breast just before the exam, you'll be fine.

Hi, everyone,

Well, hubby and toddler returned home last night. And she wanted to nurse just before she went to sleep, like always. I was worried that she might have forgotten (her latch needed a little work), but she (like Rebecca said), picked up right where she left off. I won't have another business trip until September, so I feel pretty good about things.

My husband said that she was really clingy to him while they were gone. It was actually sort of nice - now he understands how hard it is to function when she has her legs wrapped around your waist so you can't set her down. Of course, now that we're all back, I'm the tree that the monkey clings to.