Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezer stash

Default Freezer stash

Am I doing it right? I have a freezer stash of too many bags to count, when my dd stays with my mom in the day am I not supposed to be giving her those milk? I thought that was the idea, give her the oldest milk first and keep adding to my stash from what I pump daily while at work? Am I doing it wrong? Please clarify, or am I am supposed to give her what I pump daily and use my freezer stash for later, if I follow this, then how will I be able to add to my stash and where will I keep all that milk. I have so much, I have to store in my grandmother;s deep freezer, b/c I ran out of space in my own freezer. Help ladies.

Default Re: Freezer stash

I think it is totally up to you. I was pumping each day, freezing each night, thawing the oldest bags in the morning. Then I decided to just feed DS what I pumped the day before. It saves on buying bags and on time. What I pump on Fridays, does get frozen and I thaw the oldest frozen milk for Monday. This way I am using some of the frozen milk. Also, if I need milk in a bottle for the weekends, I will thaw one of the bags - I HATE to pump on the weekends and don't usually - One of the perks of the weekends.

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Hi,

I've heard of people doing both. I use what I pump during the day for the next day's bottles (mine have to be prepared & labeled for daycare). Any extra I pump that day I freeze. Everything on Friday gets frozen then I unthaw from my stash to make Monday's bottles on Sunday evening. I cycle through my milk a little bit for this but I still have a freezer full too. We even bought a small deep freezer just for storing breastmilk, it last much longer in a deep freezer.

A friend of mine freezes everything, then unthaws milk for the next day. I guess it just matters which is easier for you to do. From what I've read, fresh milk is better than frozen. This is from Dr. Sears:

"Freezing destroys some of the immune properties in human milk, so it's best if your baby is given fresh milk--milk that has been expressed and then refrigerated."

here's the link for the info too: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T026900.asp

I have a stockpile of milk, not sure what in the world I'm going to do with it. It's there though should I ever need it, you just never know what will happen. I've been wondering lately if I can cook with it, seriously. I don't have many recipes that call for milk, but I thought about breastmilk pancakes or something for my little one. He tolerates flour so why not?

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

I pump at work, and for the next day at day care use any left over from what I sent to day care plus the freshly pumped milk. Any extra I freeze and put into our deep freezer. I'm a little late to building a freezer stash because it took me awhile to figure out how to conquer my lipase problems. I know that I'll need to travel soon for work, so my DH will be using the freezer stash for DS for the couple of days that I'm out of town. I mostly look at my freezer stash as "insurance" in case I get too sick to be able to nurse (or pump). I agree with PP that from what I've read fresh milk is best because freezing destroys some of the good antibody properties of breastmilk. Because of my early experience of needing to dump all of my freezer stash when I discovered that LO wouldn't drink it because of the lipase action, I'm a little paranoid about my freezer stash and occasionally use some of the older frozen milk to check that it's still good. I'd hate to be out of town and have DH find out that LO won't drink the previously frozen milk! As fro what to do with the freezer stash in the long run - since it will keep for 6 mo in a deep freezer, I figure that as long as I keep updating the stash and using the oldest frozen milk, I can potentially still be able to give LO some breastmilk even after he decides to wean.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I pump 3 days a week at work, and send the milk the next day to the sitter. If I pump extra on the weekend, or he has a bag he hasn't used at the sitter, I throw that in the freezer.

The freezer stash has come in handy when my husband and I had the opportunity for an overnight date (!) and my mom stayed with ds. I didn't have to run myself ragged trying to pump enough - she had only to dig into the freezer when she ran through the fresh. And then, if I'm gone somewhere and my husband is watching, and August decides he wants more than what I've left for him - my husband just gets one out of the freezer.

I do use some of it to mix with his sweet potatoes or squash when I blend it up in the blender. I guess I just feel better having it all in there!

I usually give my baby fresh first, then frozen if we have too. I'm fortunate to only work once a week, so I don't have quite as huge a stash as you do. But remember that milk in a deep freezer can be good for up to one full year. I also froze some into the cubes, like in a ice cube tray. I sometimes use just one of those to mix with veggies and get some extra milk in him that way.

I pump and send fresh milk in to DCP. I put an extra bag or 2 in the freezer each night for my sash. Then I donate it to a milk bank as My pile gets to big for my freezer. Here is a link to a post I had on milk banking.
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ight=milk+bank I'll bump it for you too.
    M
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Thanks ladies, you all are always the best and so prompt with your responses.