Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need advice!!

Default I need advice!!

Okay...I seriously need some advice because when my baby was born we had NO problems for about 3 months with gas or anything. At 3 months and on both me and my baby have gas CONSTANTLY...it seems that every time I get gas my baby does too...and I am NOT eating any gassy food. I can eat something as simple as a cookie, and then I will have gas and as soon as baby eats from me, he has gas too! It is EXTREMELY frusterating! Does anyone have any help or advice? Is this normal? It doesn't seem normal! Thanks!

Default Re: I need advice!!

First off, I don't think its abnormal.

Is your baby just gassy, or in pain and uncomfortable from the gas? If baby isn't in pain or uncomfortable, then I'd say that there's probably nothing to worry about at all, and maybe is just more noticible because the 2 of you get it together.

If baby is in pain and uncomfortable, then I'd look at your diet overall as a whole, make a food diary, and try to see if there are a few common things that you eat every day, like maybe dairy items, or pop or even things that you wouldn't consider to be gassy foods. If you do see some items that are common to all the times that you experience gas together, try limiting or eliminating them completely and see if that helps the gas issues. Bear in mind, it make take some time for the problem to go away if you do eliminate the item completely, and make sure you eat other foods with calcium and vitamin D if you find its dairy causing your problems...and take similar action regarding other eliminated foods and vitamins they have in them.

As far as the cookie goes, I'd remember that food does take quite awhile to digest, and intestinal gas would be produced after your meal left your stomach and entered the intestines.

If its not intestinal gas, then I'd wonder if it was maybe a coincidence, as babies generally do burp very often, and nurse every 1.5 to 3 hours in the first few months anyway. My sons still nursed every 2 hours until they were 7 or 8 mos. old., so you may end up with some indigestion from food, post pregnancy differencies maybe? and baby might be burping from her meal as well.

Default Re: I need advice!!

I forgot something:

If you really feel that something is wrong, then please listen to that feeling and get your DD checked out at the doctors. It may seem silly, but mom's have good intuition, and it would make you feel better to get a doctors explanation if you really have the feeling something isn't right.