Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BFAR and pumping

Default BFAR and pumping

I just wanted to introduce myself . . . I am a BFAR mother. I had my surgery about 11 years ago and my surgeon told me I would not be able to breastfeed and not to try. I read Diana West's book and decided to try anyway. My daughter is now almost 11 weeks old and so far is thriving on breastmilk! She was 7 lbs. even at birth and at 10 weeks she was 11 lbs. even, which is definately more than the recommended 5oz. per week.

I've also returned to work, so I have to pump, which is no small challenge. So far, I've been able to provide EBM although I can't pump much at a time (only about 2 oz.). I feed DD before I leave her and return before her morning nap to nurse again. So far we're managing! She feeds a lot in the evening and wakes 2-3 times at night to be fed. Then she gets a long, leisurely nursing in bed before we get ready for the day.

I am very nervous that I won't be able to keep up with her needs as she gets bigger, but I'm thrilled that we've been able to use only BM so far. I do notice when I pump that it looks like only 1-2 sinuses are open on my left breast, and only 3-4 on my right, which I would guess is less than normal.

I am interested in hearing from other BFAR Moms about what's worked for them!
    Last edited by Petra; March 29th, 2006 at 06:04 PM.

Default Re: BFAR and pumping

I'm not a bfar mom, but I did want to give you some support. You're doing a fantastic job!

This board appears to be kind of slow at the moment. Actually, this message board (well, this version, anyway) is pretty new, so other bfar mamas might not have found it yet. Since you're looking for other moms going through the same thing you are, I would highly suggest checking out the forums at www.bfar.org

Good luck to you!

Welcome Petra! And congratulations on your success with BF your daughter!

It sounds like things are going swimmingly for you right now! I hope you will feel free to post again with anything else that might come up.

Hopefully more BFAR moms will find this forum in the near future!

Take care,

Hi Petra,

I just discovered this board, and i wanted to say hi! Congratulations on having a full supply! Yay!

No pumping advice for you, sorry.

I hope other BFAR mamas show up soon!

(In the meantime, I second the suggestion that you check out the fora at bfar.org -- there's a ton of great support there.)

Petra
    I too am a BFAR mother to a 10 week old daughter. Unlike yourself I am her "snacks" she takes a bottle 5 times a day. How exciting for you to be able to completely supply your child's needs. I had surgery 15 years ago - and worried during my pregnancy if I would be able to BF. Thankfully we share our snack time together.
    PanamaMom

Opposite situation- but I had breast augmentation-15 years ago (saline implants). From what I have heard and found about it, I was worried about being able to breastfeed since my implants are on top of the muscle. I have had no problem and DD is almost 3 months old now. I think a lot has to do with the surgery not being so recent and the breast and it's nerves/structures having had time to heal. Hopefully as time goes on you will just keep on healing and produce more. Good luck!

Smile Re: BFAR and pumping

I had my surgery in 1997 and just had my first child. In the hospital the nurses kept telling me that I was going to have problems breastfeeding because of my surgery. He is only 6 days old, but my milk is in and he's feeding great!! I just thought I'd share for all those discouraged moms - keep up the good work! It IS possible!!

Thanks for the positive words! And congratulation on the birth of your son and your successfull BFAR!

I am sorry that you had to hear discouraging words from nurses in the hospital. How great that you persisted and everything is going well for you!

I just want to say congratulations to all you BFAR moms!! Awesome determination!

I nursed and pumped and supplimented for 3 months with my daughter. My milk supply dropped suddenly around 3 months and I couldn't figure out what the cause was. I felt really good about keeping up with it for so long. It was really emotionally draining. At times I even wondered if it was really worth it. In fact I guess I still wonder... I experienced a lot of criticism from BF advocates. It's sad really. I thought we were supposed to be supporting one another.

When I pumped I was able to get 2 ounces in a 'good' session. That was a great feeling, because I was supplying half of what my daughter needed. As she got older my supply did not increase. Now we have stopped nursing. I am ok with that because I have to be, but I am looking forward to breast feeding my next child. It's encouraging to know that subsequent nursing can be easier.

I am going to keep her on formula until she is interested in solid food. I am just starting my research now.

Keep up the great work of bfar! It is a unique experience. I know I have gained empathy through my strugles and determination for the next time around.