Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rash on cheeks

Default rash on cheeks

My LO has a rash on her cheeks. The pediatrician thinks it is a heat rash. The problem is every time she nurses, milk flows out of her mouth and all over her cheeks (I have a strong let down). Then her rash worsens. I clean it with a cool rag and it appears to help....until she nurses again. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? I'm afraid if I give her a bottle with EBM exclusively for a few days that it will make me produce more milk and have an even stronger letdown.

Default Re: rash on cheeks

My doc recommended vaseline and I really didn't want to use it, but it has worked pretty well. You could put it on around her mouth while she eats to provide a moisture barrier, then wipe it off afterward if you don't like the greasiness. There are probably other products you could use as well that might be better for her skin than vaseline, maybe someone else has a suggestion about that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You can use some of your lansinoh or other brand lanolin cream. That'll provide a barrier so that the skin can heal. Reapply as often as you like.

Lisa

I agree with the PP....

I use Lanisoh to this day when my LO gets his teething rash on his cheeks and chin. I have not had it stain anything and he can get it in his mouth....
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

The two products I have used on DS's rash are Aquaphor and the Gerber Grins and Giggles moisturizing stick. I like the stick because it is not slimy, and is easy to apply, it is also way cheaper than Aquaphor. Both have worked well.

Hi there
    How old is your baby?
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

6 weeks