Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: having trouble with solids

Default having trouble with solids

My LO had been successfully eating cereal for a couple of months now. But now all of a sudden this week she has refused to eat the cereal.
    We did start adding veggies to her diet last week. But it hasn't gone very well. She will only take a couple of baby spoonfuls before tightening her mouth and refusing to eat more.

Is there anything I can do to help her eat more veggies and fruit?
    I'm not too concerned about the cereal as long as she drinks her BM. But I would like her to eat more fruits and veggies.
    We've been using Gerber first foods. Are there other brands that might be a little tastier? How long until she starts eating more? Is it just a matter of finding something she likes?

Any ideas?

Default Re: having trouble with solids

My son refuses all jarred baby food (I tried almost all veggies and fruits by Earth's Best brand) but he likes bananas when I mash them myself and accepts home cooked veggies though not wholeheartedly.

My baby is almost a month older than yours and only has little tastes of solids a couple times a week. So far we've tried: avocado, banana, applesauce, organic brown rice cereal made with breast milk. All of these he seemed eager to eat - leaning forward to accept a spoon or self-feeding (avocado and banana). All of these he'd get a very funny disturbed expression and end up spitting out most of the food. Last weekend I offered some sweet potato (cooked chunks that he could mash up himself and self-feed) and it was the first food we've tried that DS looked happy to eat and actually got impatient when I wasn't giving him more food fast enough. Alot went on him and the floor, but as we could tell from the diapers later, DS ate quite alot.

Two thoughts - it's ok at this point for your LO to be getting most of her nutrition from breastmilk. I look at solids as play and experimentation but they're not yet a significant part of LO's diet. And you may want to try making your own baby food. You can steam & puree veggies if you're spoon feeding, or if you're letting baby self feed offer food that is soft enough for her to "chew" (gum?) that she can pick up herself.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Oh - and I wanted to add that I figure that my DS will eat solids when he's ready. The grandmothers keep asking how much solids LO is eating and implying he should be eating more, but I know that DS is totally fine on mostly breastmilk for now. I also figure that by the time that DS decides to really eat - he's likely to go straight to "real" food which certainly is alot easier on me.
    Lynn

I guess it was my MIL and Mother's influence worrying me. They kept telling me that my LO needs to eat more solids. I knew as long as she was drinking BM, things will be ok. But after a while they're continued "advice" gets to me. That is why I am so thankful for this forum. My mother and MIL never breastfed, so even though they mean well, I have to question their advice.
    As far as the solids go, I will treat it more as experimentation and having fun and go at her pace, not her grandmothers' pace.
    Thank you for your advice.
    Last edited by Maya's Mom_06; March 22nd, 2007 at 11:32 AM.

You're welcome! It can be hard to do what you know is right for your LO when you're getting so much "advice" from people who mean well but may not have all the info you do.

Since our LO is tiny (probably about 5% on the growth curves - was 13lbs 8oz at his 6 mo checkup) I found that it's also been helpful to tell people that LO needs as many calories and good fat as possible - and that breastmilk is by far the best source for him to get that nutrition.

If you look at the chart here: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitami...dcalories.html
    There are few baby foods that have both the calories and fat that breast milk does. PLUS - I can point out that DS gets all those great antibodies from my milk that are helping keep him healthy.

My LO turns 8 mo this weekend and I just started getting some pressure from day care about sending in solids with LO to day care. I said we're taking it slow and experimenting with foods at LO's pace. It actually helped at day care for me to remind them that he's getting perfect nutrition right now from my milk. So far day care seems to have backed down.

If people are really bugging me about DS and solids, I gently educate them that the latest recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics is exclusing breastfeeding for about the first 6 months, and then gradual introduction of solids to complement the breast milk diet. Usually people respond positively and say that they didn't know that (followed by some comment about how much has changed since they had babies).
    Lynn

I'm in a similar situation and recommend following your gut. We have offered all sort of food to DD and she doesnt much care for any of it. (Although she will eat teething biscuits.) She still nurses around the clock and doesnt show any signs of stopping. At this age, i wouldnt worry.

does she have the pincher grasp yet?
    you can try regular cold cereal... just stay away from the kinds that have too much sugar.
    put a few peices on her tray and let her self feed, most babies get to the point that they will just not let you spoon feed them.
    I do agree with the pp if your baby is less then a year old don't worry too much about how much they are eating.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    does she have the pincher grasp yet?
    you can try regular cold cereal... just stay away from the kinds that have too much sugar.
    put a few peices on her tray and let her self feed, most babies get to the point that they will just not let you spoon feed them.
    That's a great idea. Thanks.

Yep, sounds like my DS! He took a little bit of cereal early on, then refused everything that came on a spoon. I thought it was weird, too, as my older sons LOVED anything I gave them.

It wasn't until I found this forum that I realized it was really normal and nothing to worry about. We stepped back, and fed finger foods when he started showing more interest. Even now, he won't take anything fed to him from a spoon/fork.

Lisa