Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Where did I read this?

Default Where did I read this?

I know this is an odd question, but when we had sleep problems with my 6 month old daughter I scoured books by Dr. Sears, LLL, and Elizabeth Pantley.

I came across a passage that said babies in other cultures cry less because their needs are being met. I also remember something about a passage about spoiling was translated into their language and the mothers said it was nonsense.

Does anyone know what book this is from? I'm writing a paper on this topic and I can't remember where I read this! I've been searching for ages.

Default Re: Where did I read this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrennia View Post
    I know this is an odd question, but when we had sleep problems with my 6 month old daughter I scoured books by Dr. Sears, LLL, and Elizabeth Pantley.

I came across a passage that said babies in other cultures cry less because their needs are being met. I also remember something about a passage about spoiling was translated into their language and the mothers said it was nonsense.

Does anyone know what book this is from? I'm writing a paper on this topic and I can't remember where I read this! I've been searching for ages.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember the comment about babies in other cultures crying less in the No Cry Sleep Solution, but I don't recall if it said anything about the spoiling part? If it's not that one, it's Dr. Sears. I haven't ready any others. HTH
    Last edited by mama_p; March 21st, 2007 at 01:49 PM.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html
    heres something along that lines from kelly moms.
    from that link
    I'm worried about spoiling my baby

Your baby will not be spoiled if you hold him and nurse him often - quite the opposite, in fact. Studies have shown that when babies are held often and responded to quickly, the babies cry less, and the parents learn to read baby's cues more quickly. A young child's need for his mother is very intense - as intense as his need for food. Know that your child really needs you. It is not about manipulation or something you can "fix" with the right discipline. Often a baby who is perceived as fussy is simply a baby who needs more contact with mom (and is smart enough to express this need) and is content once his needs are met. See the links below to read more about spoiling.

maybe this would help too
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov00p87.html

Not completely sure, but it sounds like something I read in The Happiest Baby on th Block by Harvey M. Karp. Goodluck!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

There is also a section in "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears that talks about spoiling the baby. Refers to it as spoiling is what happens when you leave something on a shelf in the fridge to spoil by being "left" not something you do to a baby. Does that ring a bell?
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I read that in Dr. Sears book called The First Three Months...he probably expanded on it in this bk.

Parenting the fussy baby and high-need child : everything you need to know-- from birth to age five
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Thank you all for replying! Yes, that is where I read in.. in Sears' "Fussy Baby Book"... what a relief! It was driving me crazy not remembering!

The other passage I was thinking about was in No-Cry Sleep Solution.

Thanks everyone! I also learned of some new quotes that I like.