Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excrement Question

Default Excrement Question

Hey There,

First time mom of a 10-week old breastfed baby. She had two BM's over the past two days that were dark brown, watery, and with streaks of mucus (not to be too descriptive, but it looked like snot in it). No blood. She had a few "normal" BM's in between the two mucusy ones (normal, mustard-yellow, seedy).

No huge changes in my diet except that I did have a little soy sauce (home-made fried rice). I only mention it b/c I know there is something about soy allergies that people have reported.

Is this a reason to call her Dr.?

Thanks for your feedback.

Default Re: Excrement Question

There's probably nothing wrong with DB. I think they have lots of different kinds of (normal) poops and it's pretty hard, in my experience, to win the guessing game of whether something in your diet is causing it. Plus, there are not many things in your diet that truly have an impact on DB's poops (see this site for some good info http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html ).

I'd be more likely to blame something in your diet only if you notice a strong cause-and-effect relationship over time, and not from eating soy sauce just once. You could try eating soy sauce just once a week and see if those are the only times DB's poop is mucousy. However, soy is in a LOT more stufff than you think it is and unless you've been reading the labels on everything you eat and actively avoiding it, I bet you've had a fair amount since DB was born.

That said, I would call your pediatrician, mention it and ask what kinds of poops they would like you to call for. That will give you some reassurance for now, and some guidelines for later, so that you don't have to wonder what to do everytime the poops look different.

Default Re: Excrement Question

Thanks, Beth.

I really didn't want to be a worry wart about it, but since I do have the convenience of communicating with more experienced moms, thanks to this wonderful site, I thought I would take advantage and ask!

Baby seems to be fine and I will call her Ped, just in case, but I don't think I'm going to waste too much more time thinking about this!

Thanks again.

Lisa