Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I Think she's weaned

Default I Think she's weaned

Today 3/29 is my daughters 4th birthday. Last week, we were playing her favorite game. I was the mommy cheetah (complete with plastic figure) and she was the baby cheetah (complete with plastic figure). She said the baby was three and a half and was nursing. I said "yes, she'll be weaned when she is four" Well, a few days ago, she said "Im not weaned, I will be when I'm four" I almost fell over.
    She did nurse on 3/27 , but I think she might not nurse anymore. I guess time will tell. For what it's worth, she has be vehement about not being weaned EVER. Whenever she said that, I just laughed to myself, and told her someday she wouldn't be interested in having 'mimi's ' anymore.

Default Re: I Think she's weaned

Oh, big hugs to you! This is still awfully fresh for me as well -- my son turned 4 in December and weaned completely a month or so later.

We had identical conversations, including the "I'll wean when I'm four" line. Then he turned four and wasn't quite ready to give it up, so he started saying "I'll wean when I'm five." Then he stopped nursing, but still tells me that he is NOT a weaned boy because he is not yet five.

I have sometimes heard that a child will plan to wean on his next birthday and actually do it ... but I've heard more stories where things didn't quite go that way. So don't be surprised if she still wants to nurse.

How are YOU feeling about it all? I was so ready for my son to wean -- but surprised myself with the whole hormonal weepies and even got a bit depressed after it finally happened. I thought that only happened with younger children whose weaning wasn't SOOOOO gradual and drawn-out. I honestly don't think I produced any milk for the whole last year, so I didn't think I'd have any hormonal stuff to deal with.

--Rebecca

Well...
    She nursed on her birthday (Wednesday), and the next day(Thur), and then not for 4 more days, but twice on Sunday, and not since (Tues). So it could be anytime now.

How do I feel? Good question. Very sad that that part of my life is ending, as we are probably not having any more children. It has not been comfortable to nurse her for a while, as i am sure (like you mentioned) that I have had NO MILK for quite some time . I ask her if any milk is coming out, and she swears there is, but I know there is not. So I guess I have mixed feelings. I will really miss her needing me in that way, but at the same time, I can't really enjoy nursing her much because it feels weird. I thinkk she just doesnt' latch properly anymore, and it just is unjpleasant at times (not always). She hasn't nursed to sleep in many months, its just every now and then. Oh well, I guess all good things must end (and grow up!)

I remember when Rebecca's son was going through the weaning process (I know it starts as soon as we introduce anything other than breastmilk but I remember Rebecca's posts on this issue on another board ) -- if I recall correctly, her son exhibited behaviors very much similiar to yours, Jamelle. As a mother who has never nursed a 3 or 4 year old child, I loved reading about her experiences, just as I enjoy reading yours too Jamelle.

I believe that weaning, regardless of when it happens, causes mixed feelings in mom. Even if she wants it and is ready for it. It is still bittersweet.

For what it's worth, one day your daughter will probably be able to talk to you about this experience and I think that discussion will be extremely rewarding for you.

You've done a wonderful job and I commend you for your commitment to mothering through breastfeeding!

Wow, *hugs* for you! My DD hasn't asked to nurse in over a month now, so I'm assuming she's weaned . . . bittersweet times when they grow up!

I just wanted to give you a big HUG! What a bittersweet time! She will always have that experience in her heart and what a wonderful bond you've built with each other!